AWS S3 Standard IA

jamesmacd40

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all

I have just set up AWS S3 as a pool on a test SP server. i allowed SP to create the bucket and tested backup to the cloud with no issues.

I am wondering how to make the items going into the bucket change from Standard to Standard IA. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Hi James
We just did one webinar around AWS and Spectrum Protect. http://ibm.biz/Protect
Topic for this one is Cost-Effective Data Protection & Archive in the Cloud (IBM, AWS, Microsoft and More)
You will able to listen on-demand webinar and also able to download charts.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks Sanjay,

I was on that webex when it ran a while back, but did not hear mention of setting up a storage pool on S3 and setting it to Standard IA. As i mentioned, when i let SP create the bucket when setting up the storage pool, everything is set to Standard, and there doesnt appear to be anywhere to set it to Standard IA.

note, that this is just a storagepool, i am not setting up a secondary SP server in the cloud. I have a replication set up between 2 servers, the Target replication server has it;s primary STGPOOL pointing to AWS, i was hoping to have AWS configured to use Standard IA...

One thing, if i manually place an item in the bucket SP created, i am able to choose the properties and set it to standard IA.. i do not see this ability to choose when allowing SP to create the bucket...

PREDATAR Control23

We set up a bucket manually, then created a lifecycle rule to move data to IA after 30 days. In our case, it appears to be keeping roughly 80% of the data in IA and 20% in standard.

PREDATAR Control23

Gernthefish

thanks for that information. i will attempt to set things back up with this sort of configuration.

PREDATAR Control23

taking a look and lifecycles rules, it appears 30 days is minimum allowed to allow transition to Standard-IA - meaning i cant transition from Standard to Standard-IA until after day 30, what does your SP retention look like? if i am reading this right, i would need to define the copygroup to retain for more than 30 days to take advantage of lifecycle rules

PREDATAR Control23

Hi James,
This is James Damgar who was presenting during the webinar Sanjay refers to. The bucket lifecycle rule from the perspective of Amazon is the way to go here as at this time there is not a means for Spectrum Protect to store directly into STANDARD-IA. There is a limitation of 30 days to transition to IA, meaning the storage pool data you're interested in would indeed need retention longer than this to ensure a good chunk of data is moved.

PREDATAR Control23

thanks for information James

Looks like i will need to test with a retention longer than 30 days(and dissimiliar policies) and see what happens in SP.