Avamar administration opinion

raistlin1981

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking at moving some pieces of our environment to Avamar from TSM and want some input as to the difficulty of administration compared to TSM. Has anyone out there (I'm assuming someone has) been in charge of both systems and if so what pain points did you have in Avamar compared to TSM?

We use Avamar to perform backups from VMware (image backup) and we are facing a lot of problems.. Performance problems, move problems...

You should try VE first...

Here we are not able to see the vmware side, so got complicated support this kind of environment...

Hi fmflorentino

can you be more specific about the problems you are facing with avamar? I work at a TSM site where they are also interested in Avamar.
Further, in your opinion, do you consider avamar as a complete replacement for TSM?

Thx for your answer.

Michel

We use Avamar to perform backups from VMware (image backup) and we are facing a lot of problems.. Performance problems, move problems...

You should try VE first...

Here we are not able to see the vmware side, so got complicated support this kind of environment...

I have problems with:

- Checkpoint
We have a huge problem, 4 days with backup, have to configure the File Servers clients to another avamar;
- Upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2, storage node goes offline during the upgrade process; 9 hours to complete the upgrade, lost our backup window.
- File Servers backups, very, very slowly backup (EMC still working on that) TSM Backup 3 hours, Avamar Up to 20 H
- Vmware problems, VMware team move a vmware from storage group and we have to remove a vmware from one avamar server to another another

Hi Michel, sorry for delay,

They intend to use Avamar to backup vmware machines and file servers, both were migrated from TSM Server to Avamar.

After one year we have to move back file servers from Avamar to TSM Server, backups were not able to finish on time. And very useful information:

Avamar does not recovery partial backups.

As we have a large number of virtual machines, Avamar server were running on top, we have to start to use the vdpa.

Back