Automatic TSM Scheduler setup

trainedloser

Newcomer
Reaction score
Has anybody setup the scheduler automatically. I have an automated process to setup TSM nodes and everything is working except the stupid scheduler.

I set it up remotely with powershell, but until you run "dsmc q n" and let it store the password, the scheduler will error out with the error: ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt.

"No problem," I think. I will just run that command remotely before I start the service. This doesn't work either though. I tried "dsmc q n -node=servername -optfile=c:\adsm\dsm.opt -password=servername" but that STILL prompts.

Is there a command that will get this stuff in the registry so that my automated backups will work?

dsmcutil.exe is the one you are looking for. Help contains also command examples.

Has anybody setup the scheduler automatically. I have an automated process to setup TSM nodes and everything is working except the stupid scheduler.

I set it up remotely with powershell, but until you run "dsmc q n" and let it store the password, the scheduler will error out with the error: ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt.

"No problem," I think. I will just run that command remotely before I start the service. This doesn't work either though. I tried "dsmc q n -node=servername -optfile=c:\adsm\dsm.opt -password=servername" but that STILL prompts.

Is there a command that will get this stuff in the registry so that my automated backups will work?

As smajl said, use dsmcutil.exe

I have deployed hundreds of Windows BA Client, configure the TSM services and make these run without issues using IBM Director (then version 4.2) and plain DOS batch command to install the TSM BA Client and Services. Batting average is 99%. Unfortunately the 1% is because the servers are either out of disk space or unreachable.

As smajl said, use dsmcutil.exe

I have deployed hundreds of Windows BA Client, configure the TSM services and make these run without issues using IBM Director (then version 4.2) and plain DOS batch command to install the TSM BA Client and Services. Batting average is 99%. Unfortunately the 1% is because the servers are either out of disk space or unreachable.

Right, i'm kicking off below:

c:\baclient\dsmcutil.exe /name:"TSM Central Scheduler Service" /optfile:c:\baclient\dsm.opt /node:servername /validate:no /autostart:yes /password:servername

But the problem is it will not start automatically, until I query the node from command line. The service fails with ANS2050E. Is there a way to create the registry keys with dsmcutil? I just realized maybe that is what you mean. I will google and report back.

Right, i'm kicking off below:

c:\baclient\dsmcutil.exe /name:"TSM Central Scheduler Service" /optfile:c:\baclient\dsm.opt /node:servername /validate:no /autostart:yes /password:servername

But the problem is it will not start automatically, until I query the node from command line. The service fails with ANS2050E. Is there a way to create the registry keys with dsmcutil? I just realized maybe that is what you mean. I will google and report back.

See this link.

Right, but this is like a private cloud kinda thing.

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]If you know the password for that client you can start the command line interface (DSMC) of the client to set the password in the encrypted password file (or registry).[B] It should prompt for the ID and password to use.[/B]
[*]If the password that you give is not accepted, this indicates that the password is some other value, and will need to be reset on the Tivoli Storage Manager server(see Part 2 below) before retrying step 2 above. If it is accepted, the authentication will succeed and you will come to a Tivoli Storage Manager prompt.
[/LIST]

The prompting is what i'm trying to get rid of. Currently the backup is completely automated with the building of a server, except for 1 step at the very end. Logging into the server and having it prompt for a password. I'm looking for a way to bypass the prompt. Could I write the keys to the registry manually in powershell? They won't be encrypted but we are really worried about backup node security at this point.

Try /validate:yes when creating the service, so that the password is encrypted and saved in the registry. With validate:no, it probably skips that part.

Try /validate:yes when creating the service, so that the password is encrypted and saved in the registry. With validate:no, it probably skips that part.

Doh! On the one hand i hope that is the case, on the other I hope I wasn't doing something so simple. I will give this a try, thanks!

I'm curious, I'm not 100% sure on this one, but it would make sense. With validate:yes, it checks with the TSM Server if the password is valid, why store a password if not sure if it's valid.

I'm curious, I'm not 100% sure on this one, but it would make sense. With validate:yes, it checks with the TSM Server if the password is valid, why store a password if not sure if it's valid.
Because you are administrator and dsmcutil is just doing what you say to do ;-)

And this is the command for removal, just in case:
dsmcutil remove /name:"TSM Client Scheduler"

Back