Automate daily (newly created database) full backups; script help

Status
Not open for further replies.

microosoft

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for reading this post.

I have a server which has Microsoft SQl Server and TSM TDPSql installed on it. i have around 50 SQL server databases on it with active usage. I run a full backup every month and differential backups every day.

But when a new SQL database is created, its backup fails because 'its full backup does not exist'. So I would like to make a little change to my sqldiff schedule script. Right now all it says is

%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup master full /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqldiff.log >> %sql_dir%\sqldiffsched.log
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * diff

I would like to add a little script here that would take a full backups of the databases created that particular day along with full backup of master. And then, run the differential.

Something like select * from sys.databases where create date is 'today'. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ben

My two cents

Just run the full backup manually unless you create new databases every hour! If you create new databases once a day, don't bother automating it.

On the other hand, I question why you have just one FULL backup a month - scary!

Thanks for your reply.

My application creates databases every hour.

Thanks,
Ben

Sorry , I should have been more clear. I have this application that is used by (public) users. Whenever a new user registers on our webpage, Application creates a new mssql database for him/her. We have a recent upsurge in our application usage and more and more users are registering. Hence more database creations, around 20-30 a day.

So, as I was saying before, I run all the database backups on to tape through TSM. I have no problem with the ones that have full backup, as the differentials run fine. But the ones that are newly created are failing on full backups. Right now, I am running full backups for the newly created ones manually every day. I was wondering if there is a way to automate it.

Thanks,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back