Audit Library Problem

gblais

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
HI, I added two never used tapes as scratch tapes into my library and the library did not seems recognise them.

I tried to run an Audit Library and even with the checklabel=barcode parameter the Audit Library command does not seems to be executed.

It took a night and this morning the process was still running but no action into the library, no tapes loaded or scanned.

Any clue on why the Audit library process does not start properly?

thx

Guillaume

Nevermind, The drive was loaded, I just unloaded it manually and it started.

thx!

What library you are using and on which platform your TSM is running?

I have the same issue using TSM 5.4.1.2 with a scalar i-500 library. It performs migrations and tape reclaims, but no audits. I issue the audit library <libraryname> checklabel=bar or yes, the process starts, no action on the library, and after an extended period of time I cancel it and the process reports completed successfully???
Would appreciate any ideas or comments.
Thanks
~Rick

Must have a library connectivity issue as I restarted the server and the audit runs to completion now. Puzzling thing was other tape related tasks functioned normally. Just thought I would post in case otheres experience similar issues.

The key is that to audit, your library must be completely quiesced and all volumes unmounted. At least, that's the advice I've been given. I occasionally slip in an audit in the afternoon after migrations and reclamations are finished, and before the nightlies kick in, without any problem, but if I really need to get one done, I disable and cancel sessions (and of course cancel all processes that use tapes) for the duration of the audit. Word to the wise - most libraries have their own internal audit function. Kick that one off first, then the TSM audit when that one finishes. I don't know that it's terribly important, but it's nice to be sure that all systems agree on what is.

"even with checklabel=barcode"? Man, without it, it can take a LONG time.

Back