AS/400 compatibility with SP 7.1.*

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello fellow storage/backup admins,

I am trying to figure out if I would be able to backup a couple of AS/400 clients on a linux TSM 7.1.3 server. It seems like the last supported client API for AS/400 was version 6.1.

The client compatibility matrix which describes this is located here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg21612681#i5/OS (AS/400) API only

Is that telling us that we could back up an AS/400 client on a version 7.1 TSM server?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

Hello fellow storage/backup admins,

I am trying to figure out if I would be able to backup a couple of AS/400 clients on a linux TSM 7.1.3 server. It seems like the last supported client API for AS/400 was version 6.1.

The client compatibility matrix which describes this is located here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg21612681#i5/OS (AS/400) API only

Is that telling us that we could back up an AS/400 client on a version 7.1 TSM server?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

That is correct but through the API only.

That is correct but through the API only.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'm not very familiar with AS/400 backups. What does it mean that it's only supported through the "API Only"? Would there be other options to back up AS/400 if I were using an older version of TSM?

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'm not very familiar with AS/400 backups. What does it mean that it's only supported through the "API Only"? Would there be other options to back up AS/400 if I were using an older version of TSM?

Client 6.1 to TSM 6.x and later is a better mix.

The AS/400 talks to TSM through an API which is part of its OS. Note that the link you mention is for versions:
  • V5R4
  • V6R1
  • V7R1
of the AS/400 OS

Client 6.1 to TSM 6.x and later is a better mix.

The AS/400 talks to TSM through an API which is part of its OS. Note that the link you mention is for versions:
  • V5R4
  • V6R1
  • V7R1
of the AS/400 OS

Thank you for clarifying that point.

Very good. So long as my API/Client OS is version 6.1 (or 7.1), I should be able to back it up to a TSM 7.1.3 server. That's basically the bottom line here, correct?

Back