Arcserve append to media problem

araczek

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I am using Arcserve 11.5 and cannot seem to get the append to media working right. I am using an LTO autoloader with 8 tapes. I have set up a job that is a rotation (incremental M-Thur, full Fri) and set rotation rule to append. (no GFS). Had a media pool with all the tapes included.

The medai pool setup I am not sure about as I am having trouble grasping the concepts there. But retention time is set at 21 days (I know it may be wrong),
minimum in save set 0.

I want to basically go from tape to tape, filling up each one as much as possible.

Questions:
- Does the min. in save set and retention time matter if append is used?
- When I assign the job, I assign the destination as the media pool, correct?
- I read (Arcserve doc) that I don't need to use GFS rotation for "append"?
- Tape naming matter?

PLEASE HELP - CA explanations don't quite give me enough info.

PREDATAR Control23

Agreed - We are "magicians" of TSM - but Computer Associations and IBM TSM - are totally two different families of backup utilities.
Good of you to come join us though - we appreciate your participation - but loose ArcServe first - transition into TSM - and come on back with those intelligent questions.

Sorry

PREDATAR Control23

You do realize that the admin added a section for CA ArchServ, right? and that the question was posted to the right area (the CA ArcServ area).

I haven't used ArcServ in many, many years and so I can't help you or I would.

-Aaron

PREDATAR Control23

Yeah, I noticed that there's one for Backup Exec, Notbackup and others too - as a *SM-er through and through I'm certainly very curious about how other backup products do their stuff, but I'd be surprised if ADSM.ORG became a particularly active list for non-ADSM products.

Would an admin care to comment on their intended/expected use on this site?

DMc, London