Archiving Tapes

lipi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old TSM 5.5 installation. We are migrating to 7.1 on Feubrary.

I have ~8000 tapes in a SL8500 library, 3 TSM servers (tsm1, tsm2, tsm3), one TSM Master, and an ACSLS server to export the SL8500 to TSM Master. tsm1,2 and 3 contacts with Master asking for tapes, and Master with ACSLS to mount/dismount, etc.

I have some damaged tapes, and some LTO-3 tapes. I would like to create a "Pool" to put this tapes in, in order to have them stored inside the robot until I decide to eject, and I don't want that Master uses these tapes anymore.

I created two pools and moved the tapes with:
set owner nobody vol XXX
set scratch on volume XXX pool Y

But then, on some client backup request, a tsm1 asks for a tape mount to master, and master tries to mount a tape that's in this scratch pool, regardless tape's ownership is nobody and not master. Then backup fails, and errors shows:

2015-01-14 11:53:40 MOUNT[0]:
728 N cl_ac_vol_access.c 1 277
cl_ac_vol_access: Volume Access Denied
Command <MOUNT>, Volume <003397>, Host ID <192.168.7.12>, Access ID
<master02>

I tried also to mark a tape's owner as "nobody" and mark it as "Data" tape instead scratch, and Master also tries to use the tape!!

Why is ACSLS giving a nobody owned tape to master? How could I store these tapes and avoid anybody to access them?

A "q volume" from tsm1, tsm2, tsm3 or master shows "volume not found".

TSM is picking up the tapes since it does not belong to any client.

You said you set the status to scratch, and by doing so, allows TSM to use this as it was set - as scratch. If you don;t want these tapes to be used, why don't you eject these or set to unavailable?

This is not entirely true as I set the status to scratch and failed, then I tried to set them to data. Always with nobody as owner. On both situations ACSLS gave the tapes to master.

I can't eject them right now because the library is not in my location, I need to store them on the library for some time before I go there.

I can set tapes unavailable from TSM, but how can I set these tapes unavailable from ACSLS? Tapes currently does not belong to any client/server.

Is there any way to make logical sets of tapes from ACSLS?

Back