Archived data - standard practices

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm wondering how others in the TSM community here are handling archived data written to tape. I'm going to need to turn on archives (some of them NOLIMIT archives) for a group of clients, and the library I'm using isn't very large. Do you typically make copy group tapes of your archived data, or are you ejecting the primary tapes? I'm somewhat concerned that my library is going to fill up with archived data very quickly, and I'm fairly certain this customer is going to want their archived tapes duplicated right alongside their normally backed up data.

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

I do both online and copy.

If the time comes, and the library gets full because of these tapes, I move them to an overflow location. See 'help move media' for details.

Archive data is kept in a separate pool from the primary backup pool.
Depending on the retention period we remove tapes from the library and place them outside of the library.
The copy is kept offsite and in a separate pool from the backup copy pool.
We also consider what we archive.... can we still read this data after 10 years (so use of common formats, txt, pdf, jpg).

Regards,

Robert

Archive data is kept in a separate pool from the primary backup pool.
Depending on the retention period we remove tapes from the library and place them outside of the library.
The copy is kept offsite and in a separate pool from the backup copy pool.
We also consider what we archive.... can we still read this data after 10 years (so use of common formats, txt, pdf, jpg).

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have similar concern like C.J.
You are suggesting that I created a new Storage pool for Archives, separating it from Storage pool Backup?

Regards
Huander

New Question,

What is the best practice for Archive?

I assumed that once files are archived I could send the tapes offsite and it wouldn't take the primary tape library space.
If I create a Copy group archive, I could send just the Copy group archive offsite? What about the primary pool. Will it remain in there?

Or again the best practice is creating the a separate storage pool for Archive?

Regards.
Huander

Back