1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Archive data for 5 years for audit purposes

Discussion in 'BCP / DRP' started by Rouen, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Rouen

Rouen New Member

TSM / Control-M Administrator
    Hi there

I've been asked to ARCHIVE data, to be kept for 5 years (minimum) for AUDIT PURPOSES.

I am sure I heard about a utility / add-on to TSM that caters for this. Is it true?

Must I make a special backup of the TSM DB to be able to restore this data for 5 years?
    As I understand, the TSM DB will know exactly where this data is stored, even in 5 years time, so there shouldn't be a need for a special DB backup.

The TSM & Client versions will obviously change between now and 5 years time.
    Will this pose a restore / retrieve problem in 5 years time?

Will TSM be around in 5 years time?

I am sure that there are others who have ventured this path already and I could do with some concrete / constructive advice.

Thanking you in advance,

Rouen M. Oostewahl

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    With all of my my experience with the various versions of TSM - yes it will be around for a long time and IBM will find a way to be able for you and us to read older databases and/or help you migrate to a newer one.

There are installations out there, and my old company is no exception, that has archives way more than 7 years old. D/R tests done on these files still enabled TSM to recover the files.

4. heada

heada Moderator

Storage Administrator
    I have archive data from 1999 that I can (and have) restore lately. The TSM database has been upgraded from 3.1 to 3.7 to 4.1 to 5.1 and 5.2

Create a proper management class and archive the data you want to keep. As long as the media is good, the data will be there.

-Aaron