Archive and Management Class

ttercero

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Can anyone give an example of the TSM Client Command Line that I need to use with the following scenario:

When Executing the Archive Command I need to specify a management class to bind the archive to

here is an example:

opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc a "/usr/data/mysql/logs/*" -subdir=y -archmc=${MGMTCLASS}

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for the Client Command Line that talks about the different options for doing backups and archives from Command Line?

Hello, you can use dsmc> arch <file name> -archmc=<management class>
if you are in the prompt you can type "help" and it shows you a menu where you can find all the commands and options. Now, please, can you tell me how can I post a new thread in this forum?? I've been searching it for a long long time... thanks!

you have to register at adsm.org, Then you will be able to post threads

Thanks ttercero, I'm already registered but I can't remember the link to post... even I was posted two threads before but now I can't do it, I don't know where I have to click in order to post! I appreciate your help.

Hi,

In the left side of the adsm.org page ,you can see a box with name -> " Site Navigation ", there select -> "Forums " and choose your forum.Once you are into the Forum,at the leftmost bottom,you can see a option "New Thread".By clicking on that you can post a Thread in a specific Forum.

Hema, thanks for your help but... I can't see that bottom.. I see User CP, Blogs, FAQ... Maybe it's because my user is Newcomer instead of Member, how can I be a Member?

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see this:

Site Navigation
Home
Forums
IBM TSM
Symantec NetBackup
EMC NetWorker
SAN
NAS
Platforms / OS

If you are new comer also,you can post any threads...

Thank you Hema and umur, I was looking all the stuff that both of you told me but.. I had to down and down by subtopics in order to get the option to post a new thread :) Finally I have found it!
If you are TSM Experts, can you explain me why is it possible that a task scheduler is starting many hours after the scheduled time? It is successfully completed but after many hours because of the time of the start.. I can understand why it is happening. I appreciate if you told me about answers or the right place to put a new thread with my question. Thank's a lot.

There are two things about backups' start time, first, you normally set a "start window", lets say for two hours, so it's expected that the backups start any time inside that two hours window. The second thing is the randomization parameter of your TSM server which decides when in the start window the backup will actually start. You can see that parameter with "q status" command:
"Schedule Randomization Percentage: 0"

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. I have "Schedule Randomization Percentage: 50" in the TSM Server, the start time of the client schedule is 01:30 but it has been starting after 05:00 AM and there are not error messages anywhere. Any help will be appreciated.

In your situation it is possible if duration (sturtup window) set to for example 4 hours.
In this situation job can be start from 1:30 to 5:30.
For verify that you can use q sched

On client side run: dsmc q sched
You can see when schedule will start.
Very good explination how it works you can find in Administrator's Gude. Just search "Overview of Scheduling Modes"
Efim

Back