Anybody attempt an in-place OS upgrade on TSM Server?

ivandem

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sentia.ca
PREDATAR Control23

Hi fellas,

I need to upgrade a TSM installation. It is currently running TSM 7.1.1.300 on Server 2008 R2 (not sure if SP1 at the moment). It needs to get to SP 8.1.5 for the Tier-to-Cloud option. To do this the OS needs to be upgraded first to Server 2012 (minimum). However, It needs to be on the same hardware. Spec-wise the hardware is compatible and exceeds the IBM Blueprint suggestions.

Has any anybody done an in-place OS upgrade of a TSM server and live to tell about it? Just curious if there are to many gotchas and am better off with a clean install of the OS and a restore of the TSM DB?

Thanks in advance.

PREDATAR Control23

It is def better to do a clean OS install, install the 7.1.1.300 TSM server version then restore your db and then upgrade to 8.1.5 .. That is the cleanest way of doing it.

PREDATAR Control23

I also had some troubles jumping to 8.1.2 and above from anything older than 7.1.7.300. But it could bemy site specific problem...

PREDATAR Control23

I have clients upgrading from 7.1 to 8.1.x with no issues .. But again that would be your best shot.

PREDATAR Control23

We just migrated from Windows 2008R2 TSM 7.1.1.3 to Windows 2016 ISP 8.1.5.100 on a new box without major issues. My recommendation is that you:
- inplace upgrade Win2008R2 to Win2012R2,
- upgrade from 7.1.1.3 to 8.1.5
- backup your DB (volhist, etc) *without* installing a TSM client (at least not higher than 8.1.2), then you will be using the 8.1.0.0 client API to back up your DB
- reinstall the server to Windows2016, be sure to have the correct drivers for tape library, storage etc.
- install an ISP 8.1.5, no TSM client, copy the volhist and devcfg back and restore the database
- upgrade to ISP 8.1.5.100 if you are likely to be hit by any of the APARs.

The only quirk we had during the upgrade was that we installed a TSM 8.1.4.1 client after installing the ISP 8.1.5, but before restoring the database - and it seems that you cannot restore a database written by the 8.1.0.0 client API to a box with a 8.1.4.1 client API. Although IBM says that you can uninstall TSM client it didn't downgrade the client API for us, we had to remove, clean up and reinstall ISP 8.1.5.