• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Any default encryption for TSM server??

Conclude that the TSM encryption can categories by two types: 1) Software/application layer encryption 2) Hardware layer encryption (Tape drive).

Question:
1) Does TSM has any data protection other than this two? Does TSM has default encryption if we never configure any setting to enable the software/application and there are no license key bought for hardware layer to do encryption?

2)If a software/application was configured or installed on the server, how can we check it? (e.g Maybe there are some files or command able to show it and please show me the way to check whether is the encryption enable or not to protect the data)

3) Can you tell me where are these files and what are their content about:
- TSM.PWD
- Dsm.sys
- Dsm.opt

And What do INCLUDE.ENCRYPT and EXCLUDE.ENCRYPT statements mean? Where are them?
And last question is which file content the “encryptkey” and “encryptiontype” parameter?

tariq.kaifi

Active Newcomer
Answer 1: None that I am aware of...

Answer 2: run the "query status" and look for the field

Answer 3: I would recommend to help yourself with some redbook first. Btw, your last question and last two statements are answering each other to some extent....

Tariq

Last edited:
can anyone tell me what is the step to restore the data from tape?
Let say that if the tape lost, even the catalog tape also lost together with it.
so any possible the outsider able to retrieve the data using both of the tape?

(as i know that the encryption key will store inside the catalog and backup to a tape)<<(correct?)

is it the catalog only can retrieve by particular account inside a same TSM server? so different TSM server different account and password. so do it make sense that the outsider unable to retrieve data which different from the original server?

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MESSID