ANS5092S - Server out of Data Storage Space -- but empty tape is available

Trael2001

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi . I am not very knowledgeable about how TSM works so please don't leave out any steps...

Here is my problem:

I am trying to do a backup of a client (servera) using BAClient tool, I want to back up to the TSM and its attached library - to stgpool servera_stgpool. I have loaded in a new tape and defined it to the pool. When I execute the backup , the correct tape is loaded into the drive, the backup runs for a few files and then I get ANS5092s Server Out of Data Storage Space !

The max. size threshold is set to NOLIMIT.

After reading a few of these postings , I decided to load another tape into the "next storage pool" (LT_Pool) for my DISKPool - even though my diskpool is saying it is only 1% util and the max.size threshold is set to 20 GB-

However, when i now try the backup, it loads the correct tape for servera and it loads (and intermittently unloads) the tape I put in the LT_Pool (the NEXT pool for the DiskPool) and the backup seems to be running...

Could someone explain the basics of how TSM works? Does it always "save" the data first to the diskpool and then the tapes? - Eventhough I specify in my management classes to go directly to the tape pools???

Thanks in advance,

Trael2001

Here's my attemp to clear up the mud.

The parmeter "max. size threshold" is the size of the files that can be stored on the diskpool. If this parameter is set to 20Mb only files that are smaller than 20Mb will be store on the disk pool, any files that are larger than 20Mb are sent to the tape pool.

Since this is set to NOLIMT than regardless of the size of the file, it will be stored on the diskpool.

If you want to bypass the diskpool and have the data go directly to the tapepool.

There is a parameter called "copy destination" this parameter determines which storage pool that you want the data to go. I can't remember if it was the MGMTClass that control this or the copy group setting or was it the policy set.

If you are getting a message that the "server is out of storage space" in the actlog.

Look at the stgpool. Issue query stg. Is there any pool that is 100% Util?

If the disk pool is at 100% Util, is there a next pool set?

If this next pool happens to be the tape library.

Do you have any scratch tapes in the library? If there are plenty of scratch tapes.

Issue: query stg <tape pool name> f=d

There is a parameter called "MAX. SCRATCH" is there a value for this parameter?

If there is a value like 100, more than likely that you have reach the max. scratch tapes allowed.

You can change this value to 9999 and not worry about hitting this limit.

I think the command is: update stg <pool name> maxscratch=<#>

Issue: help update stg to get the proper syntax of the command.

There is a redbook about TSM which can explain the basics of TSM.

Sias :grin:

Back