ANS4082I Why?

smithm

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm trying to change the node and admin password from my Windows client. I've been using dsmc set password, which apparently works (it reports that the password has changed). On one node this seems sufficient but on another I find that the server thinks I've just changed the node password and later it resets the password to the administrator password:

ANS4082I Node password has been reset to the administrative id
password.

Does that make sense to anyone? I found the dsmcutil updatepw command, which has an /updateonserver option and thought that was the missing magic. Nope. Same problem.

I'm trying to automate something for a thousand nodes and I have no idea why it works on one and not the other.

When you register a node, by default you register two accounts - the node ID and password, and a default administrator ID which is essentially the same ID as the node.

This administrator ID is NOT the TSM Server Admin ID. It is the node's admin ID.

This is what you are seeing.

Last edited:
When you register a node, by default you register two accounts - the node ID and password and a default administrator ID which is essentially the same ID as the node.

This administrator ID is NOT the TSM Server Admin ID. It is the node's admin ID.

This is what you are seeing.

Is there a way to change the default administrator id's password from the client? That's really waht I'm trying to do, update the password for both the node and the default administrator id.

Is there a way to change the default administrator id's password from the client? That's really waht I'm trying to do, update the password for both the node and the default administrator id.

You have to do this in two steps: using update node and update admin

You have to do this in two steps: using update node and update admin

Update is not a subcommand of dsmc or dsmcutil. Is there a way to issue the updates from the client computer?

do you have the administrative command line installed (Im guessing not)? Install it and it will give you the dsmadmc .exe to run and execute the update command.

May I suggest (unless you are using those node names as admin accounts) to just delete them? Thus getting by the problem all together. Just a thought.

Thank you but that command doesn't exist in my version (Windows XP, TSM 6.1.3).

Where do I find it?

dsmadmc is a part of the tsm client.

run "Add and Remove programs" and modify

For new Installation > select custom install when on Windows

Deleting Admin Accounts

May I suggest (unless you are using those node names as admin accounts) to just delete them? Thus getting by the problem all together. Just a thought.

An excellent question, which I passed on to the person who inherited the TSM Admnistrator role here. He says the practice of creating the admin accounts was started to allow users to delete their own filespaces. He also commented, "Maybe it's time we learned how to use this product properly".

I see that there is a BACKDELETE option on update node, which would seem to give us this functionality. Perhaps that didn't exist in some early version of TSM? (We've used TSM for many years and the longtime administrator retired 3 years ago.)

Is there a Best Practices guideline to follow? Do most people create nodes without the admin account? Is there a good reason to give everyone an admin account?

How to get dsmadmc

dsmadmc is a part of the tsm client.
For new Installation > select custom install when on Windows

Thanks. One of many things I did not know. Your help is truly appreciated.

... On one node this seems sufficient but on another I find that the server thinks I've just changed the node password and later it resets the password to the administrator password:

ANS4082I Node password has been reset to the administrative id
password....

This is really what had me baffled from the start: I seemed to get different results on these two accounts.

I think I now understand it, thanks to all of your help. Set password changed the node password. Later, when I tried the query node command and provided the previous password it caused TSM to say, "OK, he knows the admin password so I'll do him a favour and resync the node password."

I did not see this behaviour on the other account simply because the admin account and node account did not have the same starting password. This became evident after I installed dsmadmc and queried the two nodes and admins.

Unless we decide to get rid of all the admin accounts I'll change my tool to update both passwords, which will get rid of the weak password completely.

Back