ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory allocation.

svillardi

Newcomer
Reaction score
We are having problems with backups on 1 Windows 2000 server. During the backup, the DSMC.exe process' memory usage keeps increasing until about 2gb of memory. At that point, Windows 2000 stops allocating memory and I get the error above error message and the backup fails.

I tried reinstalling the client, but that didn't help.

Thanks for the help,

Scott.....

Hi Scott

I have had this problem before, and it is due to the maximum amount of physical memory which can be allocated to a process under a 32bit Operating System. I am currently running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition, and have a similar problem, as I couldn't set the bufferpoolsize above 2GB. My solution will be to move to Windows 2003 x64, which I have tested and found I could allocate more than 2GB (I have tested up to 10GB :grin: ).

It sounds like you have your TSM Server setup with the SelfTuneBuffPoolSize set to Yes?

If this is the case change it to No, and then statically set the amount of memory used by the buffer pool using bufpoolsize (I use bufpoolsize 524288).

Hope this helps!

Craig

I think Svillardi is takling about a node and not the TSM server,

you can you this parameter on your w2k box " MEMORYEFFICIENT yes"

that force your node to consume less memory, but in the other hand the time of the backup windows could increase.

there is also a known problem with this affectation of memorie pool in windows boxe

here is a link Tecnote

hope its help

May may be correct the MEMORYEFFICIENT setting may help. But I have 2 servers that are experiencing same type of problem. The setting worked for one and didn't for the other.

In short, the setting allows the client to break the filespace up and look at incrementaly backing up individual directories instead of building a backup list of the entire volume. So my server with 12 million files spread across 150,000 directories benefitted from this setting. But the server I am still trying to successfully backup has 3.8 million files, with one directory containing 3.4 million. With or without the switch, the client has to pass through the entire directory to determine what needs backed up and appears to fail before completing that task.

For the one that now works, yes I do use Journal based backup. In order to get the first full pass I had to use the memoryef switch. I could backup each of 2 higher level directories without the switch, but a full pass of the volume would fail with memory allocation errors until I used the switch.

The other system I am hesitant to make any changes on, it is our document imaging system and contains its own TSM instance that runs at a 4.1.4 level (the version of Content manager can't run any higher due to the API's it uses). The backup client is at 5.1.5 and my backup servers are at 5.2.7, so I do have the option of JournalBB, but if I can't get through the volume on one pass, the journal is never ready to use. And since that level of TSM has a memory leak, it is scheduled to reboot twice a week, meaning a regular incremental would be needed twice a week before the journal is ready to use.

Our migration of that system to a newer version (including the TSM instance) has been in the works for over a year. Until then, I'm may be screwed. This problem has only started occurring recently, I am opening a PMR today, but I don't hold out much hope unless there is some client or server setting that can remedy the situation. I've already set commtimeout and idletimeout to 2 hours, I may try even longer hoping I don't get other clients that get in an idlewait state and I hit my max client sessions.

If you have any other insights, I'd be happy to entertain them.

I had the same problem with a Windows 2000 server that had 3.5 million files in one folder that added up to be 375 GB. I added a switch to a line in the boot.ini file. It looks like the following:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect /3GB

I added the /3GB switch which allows Windows to allocate 3 GB of Virtual memory to a single process instead of the 2 GB default. After applying this switch and rebooting, the backup finished that night with no problems. We then archived the entire directory with the "forever" data retention option, and are now in the process of retrieving to verify data integrity, then we are going to delete the files as they are not needed often enough. I would give the switch a try and see if that helps.

I am getting below error when my scheduled job run for one of the file server.I check the dsmerror.log file.

09/15/2010 12:51:41 ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory allocation.
09/15/2010 12:51:42 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'FILE_INCR_ABS_1' failed. Return code = 12..

My server is having Windows 2003 with SP2 & TSM 5.4.2.

Last edited:
I have to ask why you allow an app to place 3.4 million in one directory. That's just nuts! And if the app doesn't have provisions to save data in multiple directories then the developer needs to go back to school. Idiotic how many times I have seen apps do this. The problem is TSM needs to analyze the listing of the directory (i.e. DIR in windows or ls in UNIX). and that large of a listing will ALWAYS cause TSM issues. It's one thing if 3.4 million files are spread over multiple directories but that many in one will cause memory issues in TSM. Can you even list the files in the OS without issue?

If you think that is bad. I have a customer that has over 5.5 million files that get backed up. Walking the tree can take from 12 hours to 17 hours right now. Journalling is not an option as it is a SUN OS on the box. I have yet to figure out a way to backup the single directory that has multiple directories based on DATE underneath. There are periodic updates to files after they have been recalled and you cannot just ignore those directories.
I figure they will grow to the point that by the end of 2011 it will take close to 24 hours to do the backup.

Hi,

I have the same problem with a node in W2K3 Std.

ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory allocation.
ANS1512E Scheduled event 'SCH_STANDARD_02H' failed. Return code = 12.

I tried ''MEMORYEFFICIENT yes'' but that changes nothing.

Have - you the real solution ?

Thank you for your reply.

interesting fix to an issue I am experiencing on a drive with millions of small files - will update if it has resolved my issues also.

Thanks "hogmaster" for posting the IBM link. Using diskcache method resolved the issue for error code [FONT=&quot]ANS1030E.[/FONT]

repost

Can you repost the link.. I also trying many ways to resolve a backup issues having 23 million files.

Back