ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure

MarkPreston

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi folks

Come across a strange one. We have a Linux server which is backing up to our TSM 5.5 server. As of 2 days ago the backup has been failing with the error:

ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure

When I attempt to connect to the server via the client (just running the DSMC command) it fails. I have attempted to reset the password on server for the client but still getting the same error.

I ran q query command on the TSM server to check the node details and noticed that the IP address is totally different and, as far as I am aware, there have been no changes made to the server.

I can ping the TSM server from the client and viceversa so unsure where to go from here.

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

check the dsm.sys on the client. Is the TCPSERVERADDRESS parameter pointing to the right IP/NAME? Is the name resolved correctly?
Try to "telnet" to the TSM server from the client on the correct port (1500 by default) - does it connect?
Is there any error in the TSM server activity log from the time you are trying to connect?

Hope it helps

Harry

Hi Harry

Thanks for coming back so quick. The TCPSERVERADDRESS is correct and I can resolve the TSM server name correctly from the client. Unfornately I can't telnet to the TSM server from the client, I get the following message:

telnet: connect to address *.*.*.*: Connection timed out

I have still to finish looking through the actlog.

Cheers

Hi,

just to be sure - you are trying to
telnet X.Y.Z.U 1500
right?

If it is so then the TSM server is not accepting the connections (do the other clients connect normally?) or the packets do not leave the server or there is a firewall blocking the communications.

Now is the time for the telnet to the TSM port from TSM server itself, from another machine and if it does not show the problem, use packet sniffer (tcpdump, wireshark ...)

Harry

Hi,

in that case you have to trace the communication - as I said before - tcpdump or wireshark can help you.
Try the telnet from the client to the server and capture the packets on the interface on the server - are the packets from the client coming?
How does this client differ from the others? Another LAN segment? Behind a firewall?
What platforms are the server and the client?

Hope it helps

Harry

Back