Everytime I try to run export job, I get this error:

ANR8944E Hardware or media error on drive DRIVE2

(mt2.0.0.2) (OP=READ, Error Number=23, CC=404, KEY=03,

ASC=31, ASCQ=00, SENSE=70.00.03.00.00.00.00.0E.00.00.00.-

00.31.00.00.00.2C.EB.00.00.00.00., Description=Media

incompatibility). Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'

manual for recommended action.

ANR8359E Media fault detected on LTO volume 000048L1 in

drive DRIVE2 (mt2.0.0.2) of library 136T.

ANR1165E Error detected for file in storage pool

ANR0674W EXPORT NODE: Retrieve failed - error on input

storage device.

Error is never on the same tape, I run an audit tape and move data off the tape each time with out issues.

Have had one drive replaced to try to resolve the issue.

A lot of bad tapes, SCSI controller error or just bad luck?

TIA

Soren

Soren

Had this problem plenty of times this past few months alone. Here are some things to update.

First being your Atape drivers. Second being you need TSM 5.2.4.5 to assist in the export problems you are having. Third restart your exports with mergefilespace=yes, so TSM can revalidate where you left off and continue where the failure began. Once you have accomplished items one and two, you'll find your exports move alot smoother. Also it does not hurt to disable any unnessary admin schedules during a large export, clean your drives frequently. Also take a look at the firmware levels of your drives, make sure they are current as well.

Good luck, this can be frustrating especially if you have alot of media to export

Steven

Steven,

can you precise the restart of export with option mergefilespace=yes? I thought it is used only with IMPORT NODE. I think that TSM does not keep information about unsuccessful exports (which data was exported - which is written on a tape) after a failure, so it can not continue with export later. It must be done whole again.

Anyway I agree with you proposals to clean drives, update drivers and firmware. In this order.

Sometimes I have the same problem on 3590 medias, but it happens e.g. with one tape from fifty...

We have addressed this issue with IBM, we too would love to see this process resume at failure to eliminate the revalidation of previously exported/imported data. Unfortunately until this is modified we are stuck with rerunning the entire process.

I am at TSM 5.2.6.2, all drivers are at the latest, all firmware is at the latest level as well.

I have this feeling IBM will say hardware problem and the hardware supplier (not IBM, it's a Dell labelled Adic library with 2 HP lto1 drives) will say it's a software problem.

Will try to look into cleaning the drives.

Regards

Soren

I am having a similar problem. How you solve it ?

I guess is a common bug, because I found several times in foruns, but no solution yet. :-(

I found the error:
The error happens in some files.
These files are in the tape, I saw using dsmc command , but they are missing at the DB.
And the export fails when reach this files.
What can I do ?
Tks,

Try auditing the input volume that is mounted when you get ANR8944E. It's possible that one or many files are damaged on it.

Also, ANR8944E is generic, the details are in the Sense data, especially the ASC/ACSQ codes. That should help you determine if the problem is with the hardware or with the volume itself.

Try auditing the input volume that is mounted when you get ANR8944E. It's possible that one or many files are damaged on it.

Also, ANR8944E is generic, the details are in the Sense data, especially the ASC/ACSQ codes. That should help you determine if the problem is with the hardware or with the volume itself.
I Did it and ended successfully. It's more probable to be the media because it works w/ other tapes. I 'lol try to clean the drive head now.

What's the full ANR8944E message you see in the actlog? Did you check the ASC/ASCQ codes to see what they meant? My previous post includes a link to those codes from the manual.

Test a move data on that input volume. If you can move the data to another volume, it means the data can be read, plus you won't have to worry about that volume anymore because the data won't be on it anymore.

Back