ANR8779E with Error number=5

rznadmin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm facing problems probably concerning IBM device driver.
After each reboot of our new installed TSM Server, a request to mount
a tape is answered with
ANR8779E unable to open drive \\.\tape0, error number=5 (or \\.\tape10, tape31 ...)

Win2003 SP2 (new installation)
TSM Server 5.5.2
Devdrvr: 6.2.0.4
Library: ACSLS VTL CentricStor VTA2000
32 Drives (configured as LTO2) connected via Qlogic HBA QLE2462 (Version 9.1.4.15)
LibAttach 1.4.2

What have I done so far:
- installed Win2k3 SP2
- installed IBm DevDrvr ("install_exclusive.exe" - 6.2.0.4)
- installed TSM 5.5.2 (without TSMdevdrvr)
- define library .... : o.k.
- define drive ... acsdrvid=1,1,1,0 : o.k.
- define path ... device=\\.\tape0 ... : ANR8779E Errno=5
- running thru the "Update Driver" -wizzard for all drives (.. don't search ...) and installing
"IBM Ultrium II tape Drive"-Driver : ALL pathes can be defined and all drives can be used
without any problems

- Rebooting the Server: each mount request leads again to ANR8779E err no=5

- Updating the drives thru the wizzard: everything's fine again ... until ...

Well - any hints where to look?

Thx
sd

yesterday, i have a similary problem, after multi test nok (cfgmgr, etc..). For resolved it, I does stop tsm on the server, stop electric the tapelibrary, restart the tape library, after few minutes, restart tsm on the server. I checked with smiity because my OS is AIX 5.3.

errno=5 does mean:
#define EIO 5 /* I/O error */

I would suggest to define the path not with \\.\tape0 but with 1,1,1,0.
And what does q drive f=d output show in the specific device?

The path has changed. If you are using Windows. go to Management console for TSM and Click on device Driver and check the path and Tsm device information. This might help you

Thanks a lot for your replies!
@ johansen: isn't error number=5 "Access denied"? and defining a path using the ACSDRVID
is, as far as I know, not possible; either the TSM devicename (mtx.x.x.x) or the OS devicename (\\.\tapexx) has to be used - or am I wrong?

That's the output from our "q dr f=d":
Library Name : LIB_WATTO1903_01_CS
Drive Name : DRIVE00
Device Type : 3590
On-Line : Yes
Read Formats : 3590E-C,3590E-B,3590C,3590B
Write Formats : 3590E-C,3590E-B
ACS DriveId : 1,1,1,0
Drive State : EMPTY
Volume Name :
Allocated to :
WWN : 50050769BDED0010
Serial Number : 00C9BDED0010
Last Update by (administrator) : SERVER_CONSOLE
Last Update Date/Time : 01.12.09 10:49:24 CET
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE) :

@ patelp: mmhh - strange, I don't see any "TSM Device Driver" in the TSM Mgmt console of this Windows installation. All my other installations do show it. Might that be due to using the IBM device drivers and not the TSM device drivers?

On aix we have an atape.driver for manage the library, have you an equivalent software ?

got this from IBM:

Code:
define path server1 9940_drive3 srctype=server desttype=drive library=9940lib device=mt3.0.0.0

how have you defined the drive?
perhaps this might help also:

Code:
DEFINE LIBRARY STKLIB LIBTYPE=ACSLS ACSID=0
DEFINE DRIVE STKLIB STK1MT0 DEVICE=/dev/mt0 ACSDRVID=0,0,2,0 ONLINE=Yes

thx again for your replies!

@ samuel: unfortunately not.

@ johansen: this are the commands I used:

DEFINE LIBRARY LIB_WATTO1903_01_CS LIBTYPE=ACSLS ACSID=1

DEFINE DRIVE LIB_WATTO1903_01_CS DRIVE00 ACSDRVID=1,1,1,0 ONLINE=YES

define path watto_19_03 drive00 srct=server destt=drive libr=lib_watto1903_01_cs autodetect=yes device=\\.\tape0 online=yes

Did you really define a drive with " device=/dev/mt0" ?? I guess that the "device"-parm is only valid with the "define path" - command

For me when i define a path i used the device /dev/mt*, for example :
define path TSM VTF_DR_00 srct=server autod=yes destt=drive libr=VTF_LIB devi=/dev/mt0 onl=yes

But you, you used device=\\.\tape0

Hi Samuel,

so there seems to be no difference between your path definition and mine - accept that
your server is AIX (device=/dev/mt0) where mine is Windows (device=\\.\tape0 if IBM drivers are used and device=mtx.x.x.x if TSM-drivers are used).

Hi, all

I have the same issue with TSM with win2k3 sp2 x32bit, TS3200, ibm driver 6.2.0.4 but it only happens with my LANFREE agent that is on win2k3 sp2 x64bit.
I have dissabled the agent and now the backup is OK. But i still have to make it work.
The TSM server and storage agents are 5.5.4.0.
I first suspected issues with stolen SCSI reservations in 6.2.0.1 and upgraded as told by IBM support but nothing. I have even replaced a LTO drive.
I suspect that can be SAN issue even because the status of my drives in TS3200 is in the drive status -> port status > NEGOTIATING LINK and this is indefinitely and on every other library i have installed it status is LOGIN COMPLETE.
the thing is that sometimes the lanfree backup work but most of the time it doesnt.

install_nonexclusive works but!?

We have had same problem, getting same error message while accessing the drive.
(hp DL380 G5,Win 2003 ent ,TSM 5.5.1 , IBM 3584 LTO4 lib,qlogic hba, Brocade san switch , ibm device driver 6.2.0.4)

There was an article about the issue at ibm site and it advises using install_nonexclusive.exe to install drivers. Currently we use this solution and it works fine.

I have informed the IBM engineer who answered my PMR about this solution. His response is below.

"I am talking to development on this issue. I believe that the install_nonexclusive is just getting you past the access denied error messages you were seeing such as the following:
ANR8779E Unable to open drive mt1.0.0.3, error number=5.

The underlying problem is that the drive seems to be in use, or the device driver is misconfigured which is returning the error number=5 (Access Denied). I am finding out if the install_nonexclusive is safe for permanent use and what the conditions need to be in order to prevent corruption/data loss. I fear that if more than one application tries to access the device at the same time there could be potential for corruption."

"I spoke to development and they stated that the install_nonexclusive.exe should not be used. They are afraid of data integrity (corruption) due to multiple accesses to the same device by multiple applications. Device driver development would like to know if you could install a debug version of the driver and take a device driver trace on the operation to capture the error 5:
ANR8779E Unable to open drive mt1.0.0.3, error number=5."

I have sent trace and debug log to him. I also share the result here.

Related article which advises using install_nonexclusive.exe has been removed from ibm site now. When i try to open, i get a blank page with the following message "document not found."

There is an article about lanfree:
ANR8779E error number=16, drive busy after LAN Free client failure.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21249613

Last edited:
You shouldn't use the \\.\tape0 type devices in windows, usually, because they will all reorder/rename themselves whenever anything changes (drive dies, san event occurs, reboot etc).

Usually you are meant to use the mtX.W.Y.Z type ones, there was an IBM doc about this.

I get no error because i bind SCSI id's of the tape drives by using Sansurfer application.

I'm informed that related problem will be solved in ibm tape device driver version 6.2.0.6.

Currently i revert back to driver version 6.1.9.7.

I had the same problem (error 5) with driver 6.2.0.4
I did everything i know about TSM, recreate libraries, drives, paths, everything - no good.
I had three libraries connected to new server while performing hw migration. One, 3310 LTO4 worked good, one 3200 LTO3 had issues frequently, and one 3582 LTO2 almost not worked at all.
I have reinstalled driver, no help.
I uninstalled 6.2.0.4, and installed 6.2.0.1 And since then no problems!
I even demote LTO2 lib after migration, restarted TSM, drives and libraries that has left changed their windows and TSM driver names, but suprisingly, TSM get it without any intervention! (win2003 64bit SP2, SANDISCOVERY ON, no persistent mappings)

Hi All, Long time user and first time poster. Got the same error on our drives and it ended up being a bad tape. Something to check.

Back