ANR8779E error number=53 ANR8311E errno = 170

s_valtchanov

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Sometimes i get error number from tape drives like:
ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/IBMtape11, error number=53.
or
ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive 3592_3 (\\.\Tape0) for WRITE operation, errno = 170

Has anyone come across documents, explaining what these error codes mean, especially for ANR8779E - error number=xxx?

Lets look at it from the drive perspective vs the error then it will come to you. Have you checked the path to the tape drive Hows bout at the OS level - correct file names permissions? I see may have persistent binding enabled - hows bout a serial number conflict in the drive or path definitions. Last thing - look at the drive itself - is it online> can you access it from the library assistant -does the library assistant show any errors or maybe a stuck tape.

Hi,

If you are getting this error frequently then it could be a communication issue. Can you check from the OS whether you have any hardware errors like tape drive failures or any adapter error. This could put some light on this issue.

Hi,

I know that this could be a communication issue. I just need the error number explained, if there is some document explaining it....

Back