ANR8779E error number=170 and ANR0530W internal server error detected

peppino

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've problem with Tsm 5.5

Tivoli sometimes returns an error (number 170) in lanfree transfer when transaction log archive (TDP for domino)

There is act log:

ANR8779E Unable to open mtx.x.x.x, error number=170

ANR9790W Request to mount xxxx for library client xxxx failed

ANR0530W Transction failed xxxx for node xxxx (Tdp Domino) - internal server error detected

There is client log:

Archive of xxxx.TXN failed
ANS1301E (RC1) Server detected system error

Any ideas???

I've already disable
  • RSM (windows server 2003)
  • CPF
  • DPF
I set sandiscovery off on tsm server and on server option file.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

seen such problem - one of our customers is being haunted with it for long time.
When trying to isolate the problem we found it was always related to SAN zoning changes or problems.
Tape operations are very susceptible to SAN disruptions. Disk operations can survive it but not streaming backups.
When such event occurs, stream is interrupted and backup fails - but there the problem begins. Seems there is an error in Windows driver for tape drives (layer below TSM or IBM driver) and in this situation SCSI reservations are not cleared on the drives. Then they are reported as busy and you get error 170 (this info I got from IBM - will try to find it and attach).
Only thing we can do in such situation is to reboot the TSM server (machine, not the service) and sometimes the drive (library) as well. Unless we do, drives are not responding.

What supports this theory is that non-windows storage agents/TSM servers do not need to be restarted. So for this particular server used for LANFree agents we are moving to Solaris TSM ....

So the recommendation - move to UNIX platform, have separate SAN (if possible) and schedule its maintenance (zoning changes etc.) to time where nothing is mounted in the drives.

Harry

Back