1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

ANR8355E I/O Error reading label for volume

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by beckohbeck, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckohbeck

beckohbeck New Member

Hi everyone

First of all, I am new to TSM. I am learing the TSM commands as I go on and I am reading lots of ADSM Forum Posts to get a better knowledge.

I have noticed that TSM is running low on scratch tapes so I checked the actlog of the last 4 weeks.
    I noticed 4 tapes(AVZ345L5,AVZ346L5,AVZ347L5,AVZ348L5) that show up the following error:
    ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume AVZ345L5 in drive DRIVE1
    ANR8778W Scratch Volume AVZ345L5 changed to Privat Status to prevente re-access

I ran a cleaning tape and did change the status of those tapes to scratch again
    Then I checked those tapes out and checked them in again, but the same error occured.
    I checked the tapes out again and checked in some new tapes to the HP MSL 2024 library but the same error occured again.

I also checked if there are errors on the MSL Library but it is working fine. Also drive 1 and 2 on the library are able to read and write to other tapes.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much for helping me.

3. rznadmin

rznadmin New Member

Hi,
    did you try to re-label the 4 scratch tapes (label libv ... labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch overwrite=yes)?
    And about the new tapes that you tried to check in: did you label them before?

beckohbeck likes this.
  4. beckohbeck

beckohbeck New Member

Hi

I didn't start the label command.
    I have a script that runs the checkin command (checkin libvol server search=yes checklabel=barcode status=scr).

OK, after some research I noticed that those tapes have never been in the library before. The backup expert who left the company 3 months ago did not label them.
    So I check these tapes out, do de label command and check it back in. I'll give you a feedback as soon as it works :).

Thanks for your help.

5. beckohbeck

beckohbeck New Member

thanks a lot rznadmin, you were absolutely right
    the label command worked :)

6. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    I don't normally label NEW tapes when I check them in, the reason: the tapes I get are pre-labeled.

There are suppliers out there that does a pre-label by telling them which environment you intend to use the tapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.