1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

AIX vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning' started by odyssey, Oct 8, 2009.

1. odyssey

odyssey New Member

Does anyone have experiences on performance difference (or any other differences) between running TSM on AIX and equivalent Linux hardware?

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    It would be hard to get a near tuned environment for both OS when you are running on two different platforms.

AIX on its native environment (of course AIX does not run on any other) is "akin" to TSM. Maximum performance is achieved with very little effort.

On the other hand, you normally choose Linux since you generally want to save on hardware cost and run Linux on a legacy CISC-type structure which Intel or AMD has. In my honest opinion, you are already paying for hardware overheads from the get go: BUS structure, I/O design, etc. which you must compensate.

So, if you want to tune Linux on a CISC environment, make sure that the initial hardware overheads are compensated for.

Now, to even the playing field, if you run Linux on the p-Series hardware, it maybe possible to even tune Linux to run more efficiently, or better, than AIX by using customized (recompiled) Linux Kernels.

Generally speaking, TSM running on Linux in a CISC based hardware would be performing slower than TSM on AIX.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. hogmaster

hogmaster Senior Member

Storage engineer
    Maybe off topic but it covers the Linux part:
    http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4207

I will be able to present som updated data from Linux with TSM 6 in a couple of weeks.
    Maybe someone with a AIX tsm 6 can post similar data?