1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

AIX bootable backup

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by mohsinalighaffar, Mar 13, 2009.

1. mohsinalighaffar

mohsinalighaffar New Member

hi,

I have TSM server 5.5.1 running on AIX 6.1.
    i have backup/archive v 5.5.1 client on AIX6.1.
    I need to have backup and restore of AIX lpar.
    first: How to have bootable backup of AIX on TSM.
    second:What procedure should i implement to take backup of LAPR.
    if someone can refer any docs for reference. or tell the detailed procedure.
    Kindly help me out.
    I need help on urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.

3. shane

shane New Member

Do you have a NIM server?

4. mohsinalighaffar

mohsinalighaffar New Member

no nim server

well , we dont have NIM server in our environment.

5. shane

shane New Member

With no NIM server it's a bit messier I think. Without purchasing any additional products, the only way I know of (someone please fill me in if theres a better way) is to do a mksysb on each of the LPARs to a file, and then to back that file up with TSM.
    Restoring from this image would be a bit icky, as you'd need to write the image to a tape or DVD, making sure that you also write boot blocks to the beginning of the media. I don't think the boot blocks are included if you do a mksysb to a file. You'd definitely want to script this process.

Once again, if anybody knows of a nicer way, please fill me in.

6. nezih

nezih Senior Member

to backing up your bootable system backup to cd, first you need to backup the images to disk.
    smitty mkcd
    Select No from the Use an existing mksysb image menu.
    Select the options that are appropriate to your environment from the Back Up This System to CD menu. if you exclude some directories or filesystems on first put them in /etc/exclude.rootvg and select exclude yes in this window.
    select Yes for the Do you want the CD to be bootable option.
    select No for the Remove final images after creating CD option.
    select No for the Create the CD now option.
    and execute it... wait till it completes, this will create a filesystem named /mkcd/cd_images take the files to your pc via ftp and rename the files with .iso extension and burn the images to cd or dvd's... this cd/dvd's is bootable image backup of your system...