AIX bare metal restore

daveisme

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am working on testing bare-metal restore of my AIX servers and want to be sure I do it correctly. From what I understand I lay down a base AIX OS and install the TSM client. This is were I am a little fuzzy. Do I have to create any other volume groups and all logical volumes at the same size as the origanal server or will TSM create and resize them for me?

For example;
/usr is 5 Gig and I have a othervg (volume Group) with a /software file system of 10 Gig. Will I have to recreate the othervg and /software file system and increase /usr to 5 Gig or will TSM do this for me?

Any reason you wouldn't use a mksysb or sysback to do the bare metal restore? The way you're heading now you'd have to redefine all the file systems and then have TSM restore. Keep in mind TSM can't be used to overlay an OS like this, thus you'll need mksysb/sysback if you wanted to restore say /usr /opt / etc..

If you lay down a base OS then you have to recreate the filesystems. This is where a Sysback works better than a bare OS. Are you considering creating a NIM server? TSM can be used as a SysBack repository with the Tivoli Storage Manager System for Backup and Recovery package.

My problem is we have had systems that files were deleted after the sysback image. TSM doesn't remove files so in order to be sure we get a clean image we need to laydown a base OS. We have had the applications people complain that deleted files were back after a restore as they were deleted after the sysback image was taken. I need to ensure a point in time is truely a point in time. What was there is there and what wasn't there isn't there after the restore is done.

Back