After running "BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME>" TSM Maintenance schedule moves tape

Snakes

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent TSM from moving the tape that I designated to backup the DB weekly within an administrative schedule. Here's the thing: we have a small environment so I configured DRM to backup directly to a FILE devclass. Also, I created a weekly administrative schedule to backup incrementally the TSM DB in a single tape that I designated (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME> TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

What I need to know is the following: why the maintenance schedule is checking out the tape and how do I change it?

Many thanks to all of ya'!

Hello guys, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent TSM from moving the tape that I designated to backup the DB weekly within an administrative schedule. Here's the thing: we have a small environment so I configured DRM to backup directly to a FILE devclass. Also, I created a weekly administrative schedule to backup incrementally the TSM DB in a single tape that I designated (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME> TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

What I need to know is the following: why the maintenance schedule is checking out the tape and how do I change it?

Many thanks to all of ya'!

Is the tape physically being checked out? If so, there must be a 'move drm' command in that admin script.

Conversely, you cannot append to a DB backup tape. You will end up moving it out of the library anyways.

Thanks for the answer, Ed. And yes, I checked the actlog and I can see a move drm command. I changed the script so the only volumes that are checked out are the ones that are on a FILE devclass, specified on the drm. I checked in the volume again today as scratch, ran the script and now I'm waiting for tomorrow when the maintenance script runs at 9 am.

I'll keep you posted.

In the maintenance plan script, I changed this part (it was set by default like this:

MOVE DRMEDIA * WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

to

MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

where 'E:\DRMPOOL\*' is the directory where the incremental backups are sent to disk (the FILE devclass).

This should work?

In the maintenance plan script, I changed this part (it was set by default like this:

MOVE DRMEDIA * WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

to

MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

where 'E:\DRMPOOL\*' is the directory where the incremental backups are sent to disk (the FILE devclass).

This should work?

You don't move DRM for devclass=FILE as there is no physical media to move.

The incremental just stays there - in your disk pool - and gets deleted after the DB retention period has been breached.

Hi Ed, it's the default maintenance schedule the one that runs 'move drmmedia'.

I know how the incremental works, but remember that what I want to do is to have a second destination for the database backup, which in this case I want a tape (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTO TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

My question is, if after the changes I made to the maintenance script, it will checkout the tape from the library?

Thanks!

Hi Ed, it's the default maintenance schedule the one that runs 'move drmmedia'.

I know how the incremental works, but remember that what I want to do is to have a second destination for the database backup, which in this case I want a tape (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTO TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

My question is, if after the changes I made to the maintenance script, it will checkout the tape from the library?

Thanks!

If you are referring to this script "MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER SOURCE=DBBACKUP", this will not work as the syntax of "E:\DRMPOOL\*" is not right for physical tapes.

If you are moving devclass=file, all you can do is copy over (this is outside of TSM) to a new destination. I have Data Domain devices so "copying" over is taken cared of by replication.

Hi Ed. No, you misunderstood me. It's the opposite way, I mean, I don't wan't the tape to be checked out. So I only put the wildcard for the devclass=FILE, because I need the tape to stay on the library executing the schedule every week.

PS: Apparently it's working the way I want. Thanks for all the help!

Back