• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

After running "BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME>" TSM Maintenance schedule moves tape

Snakes

Active Newcomer
Hello guys, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent TSM from moving the tape that I designated to backup the DB weekly within an administrative schedule. Here's the thing: we have a small environment so I configured DRM to backup directly to a FILE devclass. Also, I created a weekly administrative schedule to backup incrementally the TSM DB in a single tape that I designated (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME> TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

What I need to know is the following: why the maintenance schedule is checking out the tape and how do I change it?

Many thanks to all of ya'!

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Hello guys, I'm trying to figure out how to prevent TSM from moving the tape that I designated to backup the DB weekly within an administrative schedule. Here's the thing: we have a small environment so I configured DRM to backup directly to a FILE devclass. Also, I created a weekly administrative schedule to backup incrementally the TSM DB in a single tape that I designated (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS =<NAME> TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

What I need to know is the following: why the maintenance schedule is checking out the tape and how do I change it?

Many thanks to all of ya'!

Is the tape physically being checked out? If so, there must be a 'move drm' command in that admin script.

Conversely, you cannot append to a DB backup tape. You will end up moving it out of the library anyways.

Snakes

Active Newcomer
Thanks for the answer, Ed. And yes, I checked the actlog and I can see a move drm command. I changed the script so the only volumes that are checked out are the ones that are on a FILE devclass, specified on the drm. I checked in the volume again today as scratch, ran the script and now I'm waiting for tomorrow when the maintenance script runs at 9 am.

I'll keep you posted.

Snakes

Active Newcomer
In the maintenance plan script, I changed this part (it was set by default like this:

MOVE DRMEDIA * WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

to

MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

where 'E:\DRMPOOL\*' is the directory where the incremental backups are sent to disk (the FILE devclass).

This should work?

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
In the maintenance plan script, I changed this part (it was set by default like this:

MOVE DRMEDIA * WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

to

MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER
SOURCE=DBBACKUP

where 'E:\DRMPOOL\*' is the directory where the incremental backups are sent to disk (the FILE devclass).

This should work?
You don't move DRM for devclass=FILE as there is no physical media to move.

The incremental just stays there - in your disk pool - and gets deleted after the DB retention period has been breached.

Snakes

Active Newcomer
Hi Ed, it's the default maintenance schedule the one that runs 'move drmmedia'.

I know how the incremental works, but remember that what I want to do is to have a second destination for the database backup, which in this case I want a tape (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTO TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

My question is, if after the changes I made to the maintenance script, it will checkout the tape from the library?

Thanks!

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Hi Ed, it's the default maintenance schedule the one that runs 'move drmmedia'.

I know how the incremental works, but remember that what I want to do is to have a second destination for the database backup, which in this case I want a tape (BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTO TYPE=INCREMENTAL).

My question is, if after the changes I made to the maintenance script, it will checkout the tape from the library?

Thanks!
If you are referring to this script "MOVE DRMEDIA E:\DRMPOOL\* WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE TOSTATE=COURIER SOURCE=DBBACKUP", this will not work as the syntax of "E:\DRMPOOL\*" is not right for physical tapes.

If you are moving devclass=file, all you can do is copy over (this is outside of TSM) to a new destination. I have Data Domain devices so "copying" over is taken cared of by replication.

Snakes

Active Newcomer
Hi Ed. No, you misunderstood me. It's the opposite way, I mean, I don't wan't the tape to be checked out. So I only put the wildcard for the devclass=FILE, because I need the tape to stay on the library executing the schedule every week.

PS: Apparently it's working the way I want. Thanks for all the help!

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.3%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MACH