ACO5436E A failure occurred on stripe number (0), rc = 418

kondalraod

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
While taking Backup for SQL Database using TDP SQL, The backup is failing with the below error

Error:-
09/17/2008 21:51:52 ACO5436E A failure occurred on stripe number (0), rc = 418
09/17/2008 21:51:52 ANS1315W (RC15) Unexpected retry request. The server found an error while writing the data.
09/17/2008 21:51:52 ACO5436E A failure occurred on stripe number (1), rc = 419
09/17/2008 21:51:52 ACO0003S An internal processing error has occurred.
09/17/2008 21:51:53 Backup of PRDDB failed.
09/17/2008 21:51:53 ANS1315W (RC15) Unexpected retry request. The server found an error while writing the data.
FULL_PROD' failed. Return code = 402.

Pls help me in troubleshooting the backup

Thank You

Is this the only database being backed up on this server? If it is not and the other databases are doing fine then I suggest to take a look at the database itself and look at the DSIERROR.LOG file.

This log file may point you to what the error is, and what maybe causing it. Generally, RC=418 means that there was a TSM API error.

There is only one Database we are taking backup.

in the dsierror.log file

09/17/2008 21:51:52 ANS0278S The transaction will be aborted.
09/17/2008 21:51:52 ANS1315W Unexpected retry request. The server found an error while writing the data.

Have your DB folks done an integrity check on the database?

Try to do a manual backup and see if you are getting the same error, and at the same location.

Last edited:
I've seen that a lot on the old server. We had to stream oracle backups directly to tape, and any error would ruin the entire oracle backup. I rearranged things so everything went first to disk and eliminated that issue. Now, if TSM sees a problem when bastaging or migrating to tape, it retries - no data loss, no interruption. Of course, with my nice new LTO3 library (except for firmware bugs) there're never tape errors anyway, but with only 4 drives for 400 nightly nodes, everything comes to disk anyway.

I'm having the same problem.

I have an SQL Server in which the backup of only 1 of the databases failes.
Everything worked fine untill suddenly it one day stopped working (nothing was changed).
The errors shown in the logs are:
ACO5436E A failure occurred on stripe number (0), rc = 418
ANS1315W (RC15) Unexpected retry request. The server found an error while writing the data.

The backup is going directly to tape (LTO4).
The strange thing is that when I change the management class to go to disk or to a VTL it works.
I thought that maybe the media is corrupted (LTO4), so I used "move data" to move all the data to a new cartridge but it still didn't help.
I tried using "audit vol" on the cartridge which contains the current backup but it didn't find any problems\errors.

n9hmg wrote that he fixed the problem by changing the destination storage pool to disk, but it doens't really solve the problem because writing to tape still doesn't work.
I want to be able to backup directly to tape.

Please Help!!!

Arbo - Did you ever find a fix for this? I'm seeing the exact same problem with just one database.

Thanks
Charlie

Hi,

This problem has been fixed by us in past. Can you please tell me the size of the DB for which the backup is failing and also check for the Windows events for the period when the backup failed, there might be some error related to this failure in the eventlog (Application). Also paste your tdpsql.cfg o/p here.

Hi,

In my case the problm somehow disappeared one day.
As a temporary fix I configured the backup of the problematic database to go to a disk pool, and when I checked again a few days later the backup to tape worked.
The size of the DB I had problems with is 3MB.
It's been some time since the problem so I can't provide any logs but maybe Charlie can.

Back