Access Unicode file space using a(ny) Linux client

bersbers

Newcomer
Reaction score
I have a backup node being used to backup a Windows workstation, and I would like to restore files to a Linux workstation. Both clients that I tested (dsmj and dsmc, most recent version) exist with

> The client does not use unicode

after logging into the node. The documentation does not really say what does *not* work - but am I right that there is no way to restore files from a Unicode file space to a Linux system?

Unfortunately, you can't do cross platform restore.

Thank you for the confirmation. Does that mean I would not even be able to restore a Linux backup to a Windows system? I had assumed Unicode would be the main blocker and that restoring non-Unicode file spaces to Windows using a Unicode-aware client would work.

Does that mean I would not even be able to restore a Linux backup to a Windows system?
That would be cross-platform, so no you would not be able to.
I had assumed Unicode would be the main blocker and that restoring non-Unicode file spaces to Windows using a Unicode-aware client would work.
Unicode probably has something to do with it, but also the fact that the filespace naming conventions is different between Windows and Linux.

Back