7.1.4 Install/Upgade OS Support

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I've installed 7.1.1-100 on CentOS 6.7-x86_64 many, many times and everything is fine.

Two different machines, trying to upgrade one to 7.1.4 and fresh install the other to 7.1.4 and it's saying unsupported OS. Supported OS list on IBM's site said RHEL and doesn't list CentOS but I don't ever recall it listing CentOS either.

Anyone seen this? Have a work around? I don't wanna buy RHEL just for a TSM server.

Thanks!

From the get go, CentOS was never supported on TSM 7.1.x.

The install script on TSM 7.1.4 was modified (if I got that right) to check for OS version (mainly kernel and distribution) so no unsupported platforms are running in the wild which is a support nightmare for IBM.

I don't know if there is a workaround for this.

I don't know if there is a workaround for this.

Hello,

There is a documented workaroung, that is described in this technote. This was also available in TSM 7.1.1 Administrator's Guide (but it has disapeared in 7.1.4 one). Anywy, it's still working and I'm successfully running TSM 7.1.4.100 on CentOS 7

Edit (I forgot to paste the link below) :
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21664640

In th pas, the installer was checkin the /etc/redhat-release file. It now checks the redhat-release rpm presence.

Like what Moon-Buddy mention, CentOS was never officially supported by IBM.

Here is a link to a techdoc that list the flavor of Linux that have 'best effort" support.
TSM Linux Backup-Archive client "best effort" supported distributions
If the suggestion provided by IBM Support does not work, then need to install the TSM Client on a supported flavor of Linux. Don't bother to demand a duty manager or an account rep to get the item escalated to L2.

Good Luck,
Sias

Thanks LED888 for the link! That article is from October 2015 so not sure it is the absolute most current anymore.

I've sandboxed this thing till I'm blue in the face with CentOS 6 and 7 to no avail.

A RHEL license later and I'm up and running with TSM 7.1.4 on RHEL 7.1.

Thanks for the help!

I won't even go into the rant about IBM explicitly locking out CentOS for TSM usage with 7.1.3+, that's a whole another thread but anyway, the above problem was resolved on one server, now on to the next:

tsm: TSM32>q st
Session established with server TSM32: Linux/x86_64
Server Version 7, Release 1, Level 1.300
Server date/time: 03/02/16 18:22:48 Last access: 03/02/16 17:10:22

Storage Management Server for Linux/x86_64 - Version 7, Release 1, Level 1.300

This server is currently running on CentOS 6.7-x86_64 and I have no intentions of purchasing another licnese for RedHat to migrate to. What I'm wondering if can I migrate all the storage pools to tape, backup the db, install Windows and the _exact same version fo TSM and restore the DB, then upgrade forward?

So can I change the OS and restore?

thanks!

Back