5.5 Client/Server to Spectrum Protect 8.1

jeffs42885

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are currently running TSM client/server on a single AIX box and we are looking at upgrading our infrastructure.

I was going to upgrade to 7.1.1, but from what I understand the upgrade process can be long due to underlying changes and the addition to DB2. Since this already sounds like it is going to be a long project,I am wondering if I can just upgrade from 5.5 to 8.1.

Will all of our device classes still work? We are using one disk and a few defined to centera.

I understand we will also need to add a significant amount of resources to the server.

Thanks

Hi,
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...igration Process - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am running Tivoli Storage Manager V5.5, but support extensions for V5.5 ended in April 2017. Can I upgrade the server directly to V8.1?
A: You cannot upgrade a V5.5 server directly to V8.1. However, you can upgrade the server to V7.1 and then to V8.1. Complete the following steps:
1. Upgrade the V5.5 server to V7.1. Follow the instructions in Upgrading the server from V5 to V7.1.1.
2. Upgrade the V7.1 server to V8.1. Follow the instructions in Installing V8.1 and verifying the upgrade.

and I doubt AIX version suitable for 5.5 can host the 8.1

Harry

I was going to upgrade to 7.1.1, but from what I understand the upgrade process can be long due to underlying changes and the addition to DB2. Since this already sounds like it is going to be a long project,I am wondering if I can just upgrade from 5.5 to 8.1.

You have to go from 5.5 to 7.1 first because the conversion utility was not included in 8.1.

It's not the upgrade that is long, it's the conversion.
5.5 to 7.1 is slow, I think with good disks, you can convert 4GB/hour
7.1 to 8.1 is quick, it's an upgrade, no conversion

Will all of our device classes still work?
yes

Hello Harry,

Thanks for the quick response. I figured that was the case. Part of this upgrade will also include upgrading AIX to the appropriate level.

As far as going to 7.1 TSM, can we do 5.5 - 7.1.3. The reason for 7.1.3, is so we can use spectrum protect with IBM Cloud Object Storage. Is that an acceptable path?

I would not bother with 7.1.3. I would jump direct to 8.1.6.100, which means 5.5 -> 7.1.x -> 8.1.6.1.

At 7.1.3, COS was at its infancy, lots of fixes and improvements have been added since. You don't want to miss out on those.

And to answer your initial question, doesn't look like the conversion tool exists in 7.1.3, can't find the 5.5 to 7.1 upgrade path in 7.1.3, but I can in 7.1.0 and 7.1.1:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...ibm.itsm.srv.common.doc/t_installing_srv.html

Back