3 Different TSM Schedules required for the same AIX Client

enkachu

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Admins sometimes tend to complicate things more than they need to, why would you want to run them under different node names? Just create alternate management classes that meet the required retention and use INCLUDES to bind the specific folders or file systems to the alternate retention settings. If you use three different node names then was the plan to run 3 schedulers? I have to disagree with this method...try to keep it as simple as possible. If you need more help I'll be happy to provide any information you need.

Hi everybody,

I am in this case. I have to back up three different filesystems (folders) of a same AIX server at three different period. Those folders contains files generated at different period of the night.
So, I want to know what could be the best way to schedule it with TSM 6.3 (old, yes I know :)
1) 3 Stanzas in the dsm.sys, 3 nodename, 3 dsm.opt and 3 schedules ?
2) 3 Stanzas in the dsm.sys, 1 nodename (the same in each stanza), 3 dsm.opt and 3 schedules ?
3) 1 Stanza in the dsm.sys, 1 nodename, 1 dsm.opt and 3 relative schedules with action=command (dsmc i ***) ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd add option 4, which is a variation of 3.
1 node
1 stanza
1 opt file
3 schedules "action=incremental object=/fs1,/fs2,..."

Hello,
just 2 cents - can have even more options - more info would be helpful.
It depends on the period length of the schedules - can be done even using "FREQUENCY" parameter in the COPYGROUP definition (let's say one has to be backed up daily, other weekly and the last one monthly, then you can have three different mgmt classes and run the backup in one schedule)

Hope it helps

Harry

Back