10.1.3 new features for offloading to ISP 8.1.7

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am checking new feature for offloading ISPP backups to ISP that comes with new versions.
As I read documentation, I can see that ISP may receive the data over new S3 interface only to container or cloud container pool (?!?!?!). I would like to know if this is a first phase, and that there will be possibility to do offload to tapes, since I do not see any sense in doing this type of offload.
Will it be possible to run the agent on AIX ISP server, sometime in future?
Also, if you did offload to ISP for VE with earlier version (10.1.2), after upgrade to 10.1.3 you may forget about these offloaded backups, right?

I've been hoping for a tier to tape for container pools ever since IBM announced the tier to cloud features. Especially with 8.1.7 and pinned backups.
As to your questions sorry I got nothing. Just wanted to throw my support for tier to tape!

Hi @Mita201

This is a first phase. Offload to tape is currently anticipated in the next release. If you still require offload to tape then continue to use 10.1.2 until the release supporting offload for tape using the new offload mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship rather than SP4VE support tape offload.

Its been requested by a number of people that the Object Agent should be able to run directly on AIX servers.
There is an RFE for that request so please vote on that here to raise awareness for the request and hopefuly get it into the Spectrum Protect development pipeline http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=130991
As I'm sure you know the current recommended setup is to have a Linux server running the Object Agent for AIX servers https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEQVQ_8.1.7/srv.admin/t_object_agent_client_aix.html

If you ran with offload in SPP 10.1.2 you can still recover the offloaded data but the offload mechanism from 10.1.1/10.1.2 using SP4VE is removed so you have to use the repository server mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship from 10.1.3 onwards.

Hope that helps.

Hi @wbush,
If you ran with offload in SPP 10.1.2 you can still recover the offloaded data but the offload mechanism from 10.1.1/10.1.2 using SP4VE is removed so you have to use the repository server mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship from 10.1.3 onwards.

How can I recover offloaded data, once offloaded over SP4VE & ISPP 10.1.2, after upgrade of ISPP to 10.1.3, ISP to 8.1.7, and setup of agent/object client relationship?

Back