• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

10.1.3 new features for offloading to ISP 8.1.7

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am checking new feature for offloading ISPP backups to ISP that comes with new versions.
As I read documentation, I can see that ISP may receive the data over new S3 interface only to container or cloud container pool (?!?!?!). I would like to know if this is a first phase, and that there will be possibility to do offload to tapes, since I do not see any sense in doing this type of offload.
Will it be possible to run the agent on AIX ISP server, sometime in future?
Also, if you did offload to ISP for VE with earlier version (10.1.2), after upgrade to 10.1.3 you may forget about these offloaded backups, right?

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I've been hoping for a tier to tape for container pools ever since IBM announced the tier to cloud features. Especially with 8.1.7 and pinned backups.
As to your questions sorry I got nothing. Just wanted to throw my support for tier to tape!

wbush

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi @Mita201

This is a first phase. Offload to tape is currently anticipated in the next release. If you still require offload to tape then continue to use 10.1.2 until the release supporting offload for tape using the new offload mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship rather than SP4VE support tape offload.

Its been requested by a number of people that the Object Agent should be able to run directly on AIX servers.
There is an RFE for that request so please vote on that here to raise awareness for the request and hopefuly get it into the Spectrum Protect development pipeline http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=130991
As I'm sure you know the current recommended setup is to have a Linux server running the Object Agent for AIX servers https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEQVQ_8.1.7/srv.admin/t_object_agent_client_aix.html

If you ran with offload in SPP 10.1.2 you can still recover the offloaded data but the offload mechanism from 10.1.1/10.1.2 using SP4VE is removed so you have to use the repository server mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship from 10.1.3 onwards.

Hope that helps.

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi @wbush,
If you ran with offload in SPP 10.1.2 you can still recover the offloaded data but the offload mechanism from 10.1.1/10.1.2 using SP4VE is removed so you have to use the repository server mechanism using the object agent/object client relationship from 10.1.3 onwards.
How can I recover offloaded data, once offloaded over SP4VE & ISPP 10.1.2, after upgrade of ISPP to 10.1.3, ISP to 8.1.7, and setup of agent/object client relationship?

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjkoz