How does changing data covered by stanzas in dsm.sys affect future backups?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat related to my other post about changing the pool or policydomain (not sure if that's the right entity), but thought I'd create a separate post for this. Again, not sure if I'm even expressing this correctly.

1. If you have two or more stanzas in your dsm.sys, they're both using the same pool or policydoman, and then you make some modifications with your includes/excludes (or you move a domain statement, e.g. 'domain /home', to another stanza), such that the data will now be covered by a different stanza, then what happens? Will it just continue along with incrementals as before, or will it somehow force a new full and then continue with incrementals from there?

Clearly, the nodename will be different, so if you restored the data, you have to restore using the nodename that backed it up, right? So if it was previously covered by nodename1 (stanza1), and now it's under nodename2 (stanza2) then how would the recovery work seamlessly? Is there something you'd have to do? Or does TSM simply not allow you to get into this situation because it would force another full?

2. Same as 1 above, but let's say the pools or policydomains were different between the two stanzas?

Back