Scheduled systemstate backup failed, but OK with manually start

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello!

I would like to ask some help...

I have a 2012R2 with BAC 7.1 (level 4.4)

When the scheduled job started, the file level backup is ok, but the systemstate is not. If i start the systemstate backup with dsmc, the job will be completed without any error.

dsmerror.log:

02/20/2018 17:10:34 ANS5250E An unexpected error was encountered.
TSM function name : vssInitBackupSpec
TSM function : getRequestInfo() for request '1|SystemState|SystemState|Top\SystemState' returned '255'
TSM return code : 255
TSM file : ..\..\common\winnt\vssback.cpp (1499)
02/20/2018 17:10:34 ANS5258E Microsoft volume shadow copy snapshot initialization failed.
02/20/2018 17:12:19 ANS1512E Scheduled event '[name of incremental backup]' failed. Return code = 12.

VSS writers ok, Volume shadow copy and related services restarted...I cannot find any error log what could help! VSS storage size increased...

Did anyone already met with it?

Thank you in advance!

PREDATAR Control23

1. Does it always fail scheduled and does it always succeed manually?
2. What privilege does the manual user have?
3. What account does the TSM Scheduler run under?
4. Does it have the same privileges as the manual user?

PREDATAR Control23

1. Does it always fail scheduled and does it always succeed manually?
2. What privilege does the manual user have?
3. What account does the TSM Scheduler run under?
4. Does it have the same privileges as the manual user?

1, This problem started 7 days ago... Before this time, the backup was excellent...
2, Local Admin
3, Local system
4, I think, yes...

Server was restarted 3 days ago...

PREDATAR Control23

1, This problem started 7 days ago... Before this time, the backup was excellent...
In those 7 days, has every scheduled backup failed and has every manual backup been successful?

PREDATAR Control23

In those 7 days, has every scheduled backup failed and has every manual backup been successful?

Yes, but i only ran systemstate backup, when i tested, because the filesystem backup always completed...like below:
I can see this every day in the last 7 days...

02/18/2018 17:22:24 ANS5258E Microsoft volume shadow copy snapshot initialization failed.
02/18/2018 17:23:48 Successful incremental backup of '\\[servername]\d$'
02/18/2018 17:23:43 Successful incremental backup of '\\[servername]\c$'
02/18/2018 17:22:32 Successful incremental backup of '\\[servername]\l$'

PREDATAR Control23

That makes it harder to troubleshoot if only scheduled failed and all manuals are successful.

Just curious, did you do multiple manual backups or just one to test?

PREDATAR Control23

That makes it harder to troubleshoot if only scheduled failed and all manuals are successful.

Just curious, did you do multiple manual backups or just one to test?

Only one!
I was thinking on that the shadow copy storage is not enough for creating snapshot, but i have already increase it with 5 GB...

PREDATAR Control23

Only one!
That's inconclusive then. Probably should do more testing to see if it always succeeds manually. If you can get it to fail manually, then you can try "Test a snapshot of SystemState" from: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21699984 If that fails as well, you'd need to research on the Windows side of things.
I was thinking on that the shadow copy storage is not enough...
It would fail with a VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE error if that was the case.

PREDATAR Control23

That's inconclusive then. Probably should do more testing to see if it always succeeds manually. If you can get it to fail manually, then you can try "Test a snapshot of SystemState" from: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21699984 If that fails as well, you'd need to research on the Windows side of things.

It would fail with a VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE error if that was the case.

I will try this! Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

Is there anything identifying an issue in the OS Event logs around the time of the scheduled backups. I've seen backups fail or miss with hardly any reasonable explanation within the TSM/SP logs but the OS event logs often then reveal an underlying permissions issue, especially when it comes to VSS type backups.

PREDATAR Control23

Is there anything identifying an issue in the OS Event logs around the time of the scheduled backups. I've seen backups fail or miss with hardly any reasonable explanation within the TSM/SP logs but the OS event logs often then reveal an underlying permissions issue, especially when it comes to VSS type backups.

In the System log, i can see that the VSS in running state, and after "Volume ?? (\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy18) is healthy. No action is needed."
and nothing else....

Applog is expired...I can say more after the next scheduled job!

PREDATAR Control23

Found a solution from support!

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 3/19/2020 - 2:37 PM
Value 0
Name: FP_NO_HOST_CHECK
Type: REG_SZ
Data: NO

Value 1
Name: USERNAME
Data: SYSTEM

Value 2
Name: Path

Data: C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\15.10\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\15.10\bin;D:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin;C:\IBM\ITM\InstallITM;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\IBM\ITM\bin;C:\IBM\ITM\TMAITM6;C:\Program Files\McAfee\Solidcore\Tools\GatherInfo;C:\Program Files\McAfee\Solidcore\Tools\Scanalyzer;C:\Program Files\McAfee\Solidcore\;C:\Program Files\McAfee\Solidcore\Tools\ScGetCerts;D:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN;D:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\FUNCTION;D:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\SAMPLES\REPL;D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\

Value 3
Name: ComSpec
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ

Data: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

Value 4
Name: TMP
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ

Data: %SystemRoot%\TEMP

The TYPE value for PATH should be REG_EXPAND_SZ, the same as it is for COMSPEC and TMP. The value needs to be changed to REG_EXPAND_SZ and the system rebooted to resolve this.