retrieve directories with special characters from console

waelti

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Sometimes we need to retrieve directories with contain special characters (äöüß).
The problem is, that I can´t type those characters in the console, because in TSM they are unicode.
In the attached picture you can see what I get, if I do a "q ar \\amanda\Projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\*"
The real result should be "\\amanda\Projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gepäckraum_10207400"
If I copy the string in the console (Windows), the special character is missing (in this case "ä")
So a retrieve doesn´t work (console closes after executing <Enter>)
I tried to set the codepage to unicode (65001), but this doesn´t change anything.
I don´t want to use the retrieve gui, because on TSM 7.1.6 it takes about 90 minutes, before ist opens. It seems, that the retrieve gui searches for all files, which are ever archived, before it opens. The restore gui doesn´t have this behaviour, it open immediately. I tried to use "-pick", but this takes only the directory without any file/directory below. I always need "-subdir=yes replace=no"

PREDATAR Control23

Use the ?, it's a single character wildcard:

dsmc restore "\\amanda\Projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gep?ckraum_10207400"

PREDATAR Control23

Sorry, it doesn´t work:
tsm> q ar "\\amanda\projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gep?ckraum_10207400\*"
ANS1092W No files matching search criteria were found

I tried it before with a "*", this did not work (same error), so I didn´t try the "?"
tsm> q ar "\\amanda\projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gep*\*"
If a "q ar" doesn´t work, a "restore" shouldn´t work too, or am I wrong?

PREDATAR Control23

If you do:
q ar "\\amanda\projekte\Projekt\Abteilungsprojekte\B15\B151\UWS\Nifco\"
Do you see 20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gep?ckraum_10207400 in the output?

PREDATAR Control23

I see it, but the "ä" is another character (see attached file).
If I use Lucida console as a font, I see the "ä", but all after it is cut off.
I think, I need a console, which supports unicode character set, but I didn´t know any.

Attachments

• default.jpg
    default.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 7
PREDATAR Control23

It's far fetched, but if you copy the directory name as listed in the output and paste it in your following command.

PREDATAR Control23

If I copy it, the special character isn´t copied (it looks like "20170663_Erprobung_Haken_Gepckraum_10207400"
When I hit <Enter> the console closes, I don´t even get an error message.

PREDATAR Control23

You might need to inspect the file in the backup and/or archive table to see how Spectrum Protect handled the file when it was backed up. Did it replace the character or did it capture it. I would run a select query on the backup table with the details of the directory (HL_NAME) to just before the stated directory with the problem character(s).

PREDATAR Control23

HL_NAME is in capital letters and contains the correct letter in UTF-8

PREDATAR Control23

Because Windows doesn´t seems to support unicode, I tried to use a Linux-client. When I start "dsmc -virtualnode=IN-PCSERVER" I get the warning "ANR1949W Session 1014 for node IN-PCSERVER (Linux x86-64) refused - the node has a unicode filespace but the client does not use unicode." LC_ALL is set to de_DE.utf-8. The version of the client is 7.1.8 . Does anybody know, how I have to configure the Linux-client to use unicode?

PREDATAR Control23

Because Windows doesn´t seems to support unicode, I tried to use a Linux-client. When I start "dsmc -virtualnode=IN-PCSERVER" I get the warning "ANR1949W Session 1014 for node IN-PCSERVER (Linux x86-64) refused - the node has a unicode filespace but the client does not use unicode." LC_ALL is set to de_DE.utf-8. The version of the client is 7.1.8 . Does anybody know, how I have to configure the Linux-client to use unicode?
You can't. Windows is the only client that uses unicode filespaces. You have to use the same type of client to do the restore as was used for the backup.