Share a logical SCSI library between two Spectrum Protect servers?

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi Pro's!

I'm trying to setup two Spectrum Protect servers against one physical library with two logical librarys. I tried to follow this guide first but it is not what I want to do: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled.../com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_lib_sharing_scsi.html

-I have one IBM 3584 library with six drives
-I have created two logical libraries within the physical library and have assigned two drives to one lib and four to the other one.
-I have on the "TSMSRV1" and defined a library type=shared, and also defined drives and paths (drive 1-4)
-I have on "TSMSRV2" defined a library type=shared and with primarylibmanager=tsmsrv1
-After this I'm stuck!

I tried the above configuration and before that I tried to configure a nonshared library on each server and defined drives and paths to the assigned drives to the logical library, but then I got errors in the actlog when trying to use the drives (attached).

My goal is to use each logical library for each Spectrum Protect server independently of each other.

Is that possible?

Attachments

• tsmsrv2-error.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 6
PREDATAR Control23

Looks like you are trying to do two different things at the same time.

If you want to do this:
My goal is to use each logical library for each Spectrum Protect server independently of each other.

Then you don't need or want to do this:
defined a library type=shared
and don't want to do this:
I have on "TSMSRV2" defined a library type=shared and with primarylibmanager=tsmsrv1
-----
Is that possible?
Yes.

but then I got errors in the actlog when trying to use the drives (attached).
You need to address those errors.
Code:
ANR8300E I/O error on library LIBR001 (OP=8401C058, CC=207,
KEY=FF, ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF, SENSE= **NONE**, Description
=Device is not in a state capable of performing request).
  Refer to the IBM Spectrum Protect documentation on I/O e
rror code descriptions. (SESSION: 175, PROCESS: 14)
The jargon above is explained here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/srv.msgs/ioerrorcodes.html
CC=207 means:
upload_2017-9-21_8-13-58.png

Key=FF means:
upload_2017-9-21_8-15-2.png

ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF is not in the list here: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...oerrorcodes_ascdesc.html#ioerrorcodes_ascdesc

My recommendation would be to get ITDT: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled.../srv.solutions/r_device_drivers_ibm_unix.html

Then try using ITDT to test moving a tape from one slot to another. Here's some reference information on that: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/AIX Tech Tips/page/ITDT quick start - using library commands

If that fails, it would be a problem with the library config, best to open a HW call at that point.

PREDATAR Control23

I have a 3584 (and 3310) shared between two TSM servers that are running on AIX.
Was the library previously defined on any of the TSM servers? Or this a new setup?
As Marc pointed out above, ITDT and Atape.driver(windows/linux?) is the way to go. You will want it!

To start from the beginning of the logical library config, check that logical library has dedicated drives and not shared.
Also, what does drive > drive assignment look like from the library config web page? You must set control paths for each library. In the below photo Drive 01 and Drive 08 are the control paths for the two logical libraries called TSM2 and TSM1. You can have more than one control path per library by the way.
upload_2017-9-21_14-48-16.png

Once that's done and WWN's are zoned to the right servers (I found it best not to have all WWN's zoned to both servers, only zone the drives you need to the server you want) re-walk your bus to bring in the drives.

After the bus has been walked, make sure everything was brought into the host OS
AIX:
lsdev -Cc tape
rmt0 Available 02-00-01-PRI IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt1 Available 02-00-01-PRI IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt2 Available 02-00-01-PRI IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt3 Available 02-00-01-PRI IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
smc3 Available 02-00-01-PRI IBM 3584 Library Medium Changer (FCP)

lscfg -vpl <rmtX,smcX>
record serial number

lsattr -El <rmtX,smcX>
Get the node_name and ww_name in case there's any zoning mistakes. (TSM sees the node_name if you perform a q_drive f=d)

At this point, you could use ITDT and attempt to move tapes around, if there are tapes defined to the logical library that is. If you are not using a Cartridge Assignment Policy, look into setting one up. Its very handy.

Then define the library inside of TSM, build out your paths and drives like any other(? I've only worked on 3310's and 3584's) tape library with media changer.

Hope the above helps.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi again,

Been away for some days.

I tried to use ITDT for windows but the tool complains about "No device connected". If I made a scan it did find all my devices though.

I gave up investigating why this tool behaved like that. I then tried to remove all the library and drive config in Spectrum Protect and then halted and rebooted both of my servers. After this everything was easy to setup and now it work as expected. Maybe the SP servers didn't catch that I did a new logical library without a reboot. Anyway, we solved it! Thank you guys!

PREDATAR Control23

I had issues with a 3310 and logical libraries attached to Windows server running CommVault. Only way I could reliably see the newly created logical library was to reboot the media controller. Perhaps it something funky with Windows, even if you ran Device Manager to scan for hardware changes.

Either way, glad its working!