[HOWTO] Looking for a way to test

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I need to run a test and cannot figure out how to do it, if it is possible.

I have some archives that are currently sent to tape. I need to get some hard numbers as to how well this data would deduplicate if brought into a deduplicated/replicated storage pool. Ideally, I would like to make a COPY of the current archived data, under a new node name and new domain/management class, but I can't figure out any way of doing this :(

All I can think of is to rename the node, put it in a new domain (which points to the container pool), export it, reset the original name/domain, then import the renamed node which should get placed into the container pool. I would have to make sure that no backups/archives are attempted during this process. I also don't like the potential impact on node replication of the backup data doing this.

Any better ideas?

PREDATAR Control23

These are production nodes, so we that's not a desirable option, but I will bring it up with management.

PREDATAR Control23

Create test nodes, do a few archives, test your procedure.

PREDATAR Control23

Oh, you can't import node data into a container pool. You can only add data in a container pool by doing backups and/or archives, or also by doing replication.

So if you want to see how well it dedups, just replicate that node to another server where the destination pool is a container pool and you can check the dedupstats on the target server for that node.

PREDATAR Control23

Yeah, that doesn't work, as it keeps the same class information and gets loaded to the archive pool (tape) on the remote server :(

PREDATAR Control23

So what I am going to do is retrieve the existing data then re-archive them under a different node name and management class.

PREDATAR Control23

Yeah, that doesn't work, as it keeps the same class information and gets loaded to the archive pool (tape) on the remote server :(
You would have to edit the management classes on the target server to point to a different storage pool.