Restore Mailbox to PST file Succeeds, but Restore Mailbox to Mailbox Fails with FMX5924E

jeinhorn

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Gurus -

I am practicing different TDP-Exchange restore scenarios. In this case, I'm trying to ensure that I can restore a mailbox that was deleted. I've been following guidance from "Data Protection for Microsoft Exchange Install and User Guide, v7.1.4". Relevant sections are titled "Restoring a deleted mailbox or items from a deleted mailbox", and in the Reference section, "Restoremailbox Command". Here is my plan:
  1. Review the contents of a non-critical mailbox which has already been backed up through scheduled FULL exchange backups. (I am working on mailbox FTWUATUser02)
  2. Delete this non-critical mailbox
  3. Restore the mailbox to PST file
  4. Restore the mailbox to the same mailbox
I had no problem with steps 1 through 3. Step 3 looked like this:
Code:
> tdpexcc restoremailbox FTWUATUser02 /mailboxrestoredestination=PST,"H:\TEMPDBRESTOREPATH\FTWUATUser02.pst"
. . .
Starting Microsoft Exchange restore...

Querying Exchange database information...
There is no existing recovery database found...
Querying mailbox information...
Connecting to TSM Server as node 'USEPRDEX1_EXC_TDP'...
Connecting to Local DSM Agent 'USEPRDEX1'...
Using backup node 'KNS-DAG'...
Performing mailbox restore using closest available backup.

Beginning VSS restore of 'Logs', 'US_User_DB01'. This operation could take a while, please wait...

Preparing for restore of 'Logs' from TSM backup.

Preparing for restore of 'File' from TSM backup.
   Files Examined/Completed/Failed: [ 0 / 0 / 0 ]   Total Bytes: 9309780469
   . . . "Total Bytes" count updates in real time . . .
   Files Examined/Completed/Failed: [ 2474 / 2474 / 0 ]   Total Bytes: 165284636754

VSS Restore operation completed with rc = 0
   Files Examined      : 2474
   Files Completed     : 2474
   Files Failed        : 0
   Total Bytes         : 165284636754
   Total LanFree Bytes : 0

Running recovery.  This operation might take some time, depending on the number of transaction logs being replayed.
Querying Exchange Recovery Database...

Checking Active Directory entries...
Recovering deleted items for mailbox 'FTWUATUser02 (FTWUATUser02)'. This process might take several minutes...

Restoring mailbox 'FTWUATUser02 (FTWUATUser02)' to 'H:\TEMPDBRESTOREPATH\FTWUATUser02.pst'...
  Processed 'Inbox' ( restored 0 items )

Mailbox restore completed successfully with 69 items restored.

Removing Exchange Recovery Database...

Total mailboxes requested for restore:     1
Total mailboxes restored:                  1

The operation completed successfully. (rc = 0)

Immediately after I completed step 3, I moved on to step 4. The manual says "Before you run the mailbox restore operation, re-create the mailbox that is using Exchange." So I used Exchange Admin Center to re-create the FTWUATUser02 mailbox. Then I tried to restore the mailbox , and got error FMX5924E :

Code:
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPExchange> tdpexcc restoremailbox FTWUATUser02 /mailboxrestoredestination=EXCHANGE,FTWUATUser02
. . .

Querying Exchange database information...
There is no existing recovery database found...
Querying mailbox information...
Restoring mailbox 'FTWUATUser02 (FTWUATUser02)' to '9464600f-bc5c-4f56-afdc-b89dcee89391'...

Mailbox restore failed.
FMX5924E There were no usable backups found.

Removing Exchange Recovery Database...

Total mailboxes requested for restore:     1
Total mailboxes restored:                  0

FMX0151E Errors occurred while processing the request.

Just in case I was not correctly interpreting the manual, I used Exchange Admin Center to delete the FTWUATUser02 mailbox, and tried again. The results were the same.

This is puzzling. Clearly, there IS a usable backup because I was able to restore to PST file. So why can't I also restore to mailbox? If anyone has suggestions, please do share!

Many Thanks,
Janet

Hello RecoveryOne -

Thank you for your response. When doing this restore activity, I was logged in using the same ID that I used to successfully restore a mailbox to a PST file, restore a mailbox to an alternative mailbox location, restore a mailbox item to a different mailbox, and restore a deleted mailbox to a PST file. So I don't see why I would not also have permission to restore the deleted mailbox to a re-created mailbox. I spent a few days trying slightly different approaches, with no success. "Restore deleted mailbox to pst file" is sufficient for our needs, so I am giving up on "restore deleted mailbox to new mailbox". Again, thanks for your effort; I'm going to leave this one unsolved.

Regards,
Janet

Back