Does a standard Adaptec 39160 Ultra160 work on either 32/64 bit PCI slots

ProtoWhich

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

My question is do only CERTAIN of the Adaptec Ultra 160 adapters work on EITHER 32-bit or 64-bit slots or did they make the tab structure to pretty much in general allow either type of slot?

I know an Adaptec 29160LP will work on either type of PCI slot.

I just bought an Adaptec 39160 and it IS a 64-bit PCI slot type of card but I wonder - will it work on a standard (32-bit PCI) slot. I need to answer this fast since if I cannot use the Adaptec I just ordered, I quickly need to find another card.

I'll research this myself but I've pretty much had it for one day of trying to answer these picayune question - sorry, for lack of a better term.

Any help appreciated - I basically need to control an IBM LTO Ultrium 3 magnetic tape device which I have jumpered for power through the cable from the PC I hook it up to. This is called TERMPOWER. I don't yet know if my PC can handle the power but I'm willing to try. I really don't have any manuals from IBM that explain clearly what a person is supposed to do to hook up the drive. It's not at all clear from their documentation.

PREDATAR Control23

I realize that the 64-bit card would have to "fit" and it may or may not.

And I realize I will need a cable (probably 68 pin at each end to finish the cabling to the tape drive).

PREDATAR Control23

I have posted this question to ibmmedia - maybe they will advise me. I'm fairly sure that just about any SCSI card
will work as long as I cable it properly, and the power cable from a regular pc should have about enough power particularly
if I don't put too many devices on the supply if it's only 250 Watts.

PREDATAR Control23

I now realize that to hook up my tape drive that I will use either an HD68 to HD68 cable for my Adaptec 2940 or an VHDC68 to HD68 if I go with a higher-end
card like a 39160 or 29160. I hope my 39160 will work on my pc. If not, I'll have to get a 29160. I just need to make sure these cards fit into my PC and I need
to run the power outside of the PC or use an external supply somehow. Perhaps build a rack.

I'm still a little confused about TERMPOWER although I know that it is that some SCSI cards supply the 5v, some do not. That's what that jumper is for. I will have
to somehow figure out if they supply it - maybe there will be a little cable in cases where they supply it and I can leave it unhooked or something.

PREDATAR Control23

I found a way to get power to the drive and it comes up IBM Ultrium TD3 and like 160 and 16 for the bus. I'm waiting for the OS so I can get some more info hopefully. It has a green light at the bottom.

PREDATAR Control23

None of the commands cat /proc/scsi/scsi or lsscsi or cat /proc/interrupts show the IBM Ultrium 3 drive. Perhaps I need to install drivers somehow.

PREDATAR Control23

I DO get the Adaptec controller listed when I run lspci.

So I need to look into the tape drive's drivers now.

PREDATAR Control23

I now have my tape drive visible as a device so I can start programming.