IBM LTO Ultrium 3 Tape Drive Model 23R4762

ProtoWhich

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have a used one of these tape drives coming in the mail today. I just need to know a couple things that I'm a little confused about:
1) Is there a user manual, and if so, can I find it?
2) I have an old SCSI card, and I've ordered a new Adaptec AHA 2940. I'm guessing these use the smaller of the two SCSI cables, am I correct? My old scanner did seem to use the smaller. Perhaps I will need the full 68 pin, I don't know and I don't know where I would get one.
3) And I either have to set a terminator SCSI ID or put it on 15 and dynamically set it?
4) I can just plug the SCSI adapter into a PCI slot on my PC
5) I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers are already on my Linux but is there a place where I can find the drivers and/or the user manual?

I can go into an old PC and take out the SCSI card - it might be able to be used while I am waiting for my new Adaptec to come in the mail.

I ask this because I haven't found much info on this device which seems to be circa 2007 - quite a while back. Maybe some pics would help?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
PREDATAR Control23

Now that I have the drive, I see a 68-pin female connector on the back. And a 4-prong power connector - so I need to power it as an internal
tape-drive or at least make sure I supply the right power to it, and it has a jumper on the left most two pins (vertical jumper). It looks to be
in very good condition. I see P/N 95P2012 - is that a cross or another product number? And I see PN: 23R4762. I've seen 23R4762 on external drives to. I would love a manual.
I can see on the back it also has RS-422 and a serial port. I have a generic LTO Ultrium manual now that should help:
IBM 400/800GB LTO3 Tape Drive User’s
Guide

PREDATAR Control23

So my jumper is set to TERMPOWER (SCSI drives only). What does that mean - I have NO idea.

PREDATAR Control23

I wonder if a normal PC power plug has the power - I need to check the power consumption. I don't plan to use the tape motors so I should have low consumption I guess.

PREDATAR Control23

I guess these drives are supposed to be installed in some sort of rack. I don't have a rack so I need to improvise.

How can I do this?

Physical Characteristics of the SCSI Interface
The drive contains a high-density, 68-pin, D-shell receptacle connector (HD68) for
attachment to the server. The HD68 connector includes the connectors for the SCSI
signal, the SCSI ID, and the drive’s power. The drive supports LVD SCSI cables
with HD68 connectors.
Speed
The Ultra160 LVD SCSI interface is compatible with older SCSI technology and is
capable of data transmission at 160 MB/s. Ultra160 SCSI uses the three
management features of the Ultra3 SCSI standard that specifically affect data
transfer rate:
v Double transiti

PREDATAR Control23

I guess perhaps a 29160 or 39160 card might help although I'm not sure if I can just put it into a PCI slot.

God, I wish I understood what to do.
Adaptec 39160 64-Bit PCI Ultra160 LVD Server SCSI Controller Card - ASC-39160

PREDATAR Control23

Now I will need to know is it PCI or PCI64 - I doubt I have PCI 64, perhaps I do, but I don't know.

PREDATAR Control23

I think I now understand "TERMPOWER". It means that the power to the drive will come from the 68-pin cable I mention above. Unfortunately, I do not have a TERM.

PREDATAR Control23

ADAPTEC SCSICard 39160 (P/N1822300) Ultra160 SCSI Controller Card Kit

I just bought the above off of ebay - maybe it will help.

PREDATAR Control23

Does anyone know, can I plug this into a normal PCI slot? The bottom tab looks awfully long. I will post this as a separate question - it's highly important.

I guess it's a PCI 64 slot? I don't know if I have any XP machines with that type of slot.

PREDATAR Control23

I guess I could use a standard PC power supply and power it via the +5v, gnd, gnd, 12v connector. I probably have that kind of connector on some pc.

PREDATAR Control23

Install Device Drivers
For information about installing device drivers, refer to the documentation for your
server and/or Operating System.

PREDATAR Control23

I have manually installed stuff so I now can communicate with the drive no problem.

I can dump the memory and read now.