How to delete filespaces with retention protected data?

smith_ja

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

I had a client node named TNS8DB. This node was remove 6 months ago. The node had some archived files that are archived for 365 days. I am trying to delete the filespaces for TNS8DB and I get this error "ANR0125W DELETE FILESPACE /u01 (fsId=1) for node TNS8DB contains retention protected data and cannot be deleted." We no longer need the archived files. It there any way to remove the retention protection from this data so that it can be deleted?

Thanks,
Judy

PREDATAR Control23

It there any way to remove the retention protection from this data so that it can be deleted?
No.

You could use the "decommission node" command, it will delete the filespace and the node as soon as all the data has expired.

PREDATAR Control23

No.

You could use the "decommission node" command, it will delete the filespace and the node as soon as all the data has expired.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to wait another 6 months to a year for the data to expire. I need the storage space these old archive items are using. Is there a way to get the data to expire, now?

PREDATAR Control23

Short answer: No. That's the whole point of archive retention protection.
Long answer: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...tsm.srv.doc/c_mplmntpol_dtaretentprotect.html

Yes. I get all that, but what if you change you mind on how long you want to keep that archived data? I work for a community college and the users changed their minds about how long they wanted to keep archives when they realized how expensive the storage tapes are. Sometimes it takes a little while for non technical people to realize that it is not magic and there is a cost to consider.

PREDATAR Control23

what if you change you mind on how long you want to keep that archived data?

With the "archive data retention protection" enable, there are no changing. It is like pouring concrete.
One may say that you can destroy and re-pour the concrete.
To disable the "archive data retention protection" , uninstall the TSM Server, reinstall the TSM Server, make sure that the
"archive data retention protection" is not enable and then reinstall the database.
The only time that you can enable the "archive data retention protection" is on a new installed TSM Server where there are no data in the database.

If the "archive data retention protection" was not enable. Unlike backup, there are no rebinding with archives.
You can not change the archive retention to affect previous archives.
ie: Yesterday we archive a file for 180 days.
The retention is too long, we reduce the archive retention to 60 days.
We perform an archive today. Todays archive will have a retention for 60 days and we will still have the
archive for 180 days.

Several ways to change an archive retention.
1. Retrive the data and rearchive the data with the archive mgmtclass with the retention that you need.
2. Move the node into another domain where the archive mgmtclass have the retention that you need.

Is there a way to view the expiration dates for the archived retention protected filespace files
Would have to run a select statement to see when the file was archived and count from that date.

PREDATAR Control23

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/delete-volume-fails-anr0126w
If "Archive Retention Protection" is set to "Off", as in this example, then the Tivoli Storage Manager Client or Tivoli Storage Manager API client has placed a hold on this object.

To find the object and node that has the hold, do the following command on the volume name listed in message ANR0126W:

Q CONtent Vol_Name

This will list the Node Names and files stored on the volume.

Go to the Client and verify if the above objects have the hold set on each object:

Example:
dsmc q archive -detail "C:\OFFICESCAN8-\OSCE_8.0_WIN_EN_PATCH2.EXE"

26,209,828 B 03/25/2008 17:14:53
\\us1ntmgt02\c$\officescan8-\OSCE_8.0_WIN_EN_patch2.exe 03/25/2009
Archive Date: 03/25/2008 test RetInit:STARTED ObjHeld:YES
Modified: 03/05/2008 11:26:47 Created: 03/25/2008 13:16:37

This Backup/Archive client has set a hold "ObjHeld:YES" on this file, preventing any deletion of the object from Tivoli Storage Manager Server storage.
Resolving The Problem
Run the following dsmc client command to remove this hold:

SET Event -TYPE=Release <filespec>

Ex:
dsmc SET Event -TYPE=Release "C:\OFFICESCAN8-\OSCE_8.0_WIN_EN_PATCH2.EXE"

Once this is done on all objects that had the ObjHeld set to yes (now set to No), you will be able to delete the volume from Tivoli Storage Manager Server storage.