TSM Front End and Capacity Licensing review...

anothertsmuser

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello.

Anyone had a chance to review the 2 licensing models?

We currently have EMC Datadomains on the backend with legal data holds and 10 year retentions. I'm currently looking into new front end licensing and if it looks good will likely propose it when our renewal comes up next year.

I'm still in the process of upgrading our servers to enable the OC to report on the license estimations so cannot comment on how the numbers present themselves in our environment. However, I'm expecting to see extremely favourable results when I do.

Was wondering if there were people out there that have reviewed the models and switched between the 2 for whatever reasons.

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

Front end licensing is good for mid range organizations and It actually depends on the size of the data always. We are using frontend capacity based license.

PREDATAR Control23

Taking this to more detail, in the TSM OpC 7.1.3 GUI under licensing I show front-end usage is 66.4Tb. How is this number calculated? I assume it subtracts versioning? I need t know if my company has breached our license. I have ran a few selects, but I do not think they are entirely accurate. Will you kindly share your queries? I also opened a PMR, but the point me to useless URLs. Thank you!

PREDATAR Control23

Taking this to more detail, in the TSM OpC 7.1.3 GUI under licensing I show front-end usage is 66.4Tb. How is this number calculated? I assume it subtracts versioning? I need t know if my company has breached our license. I have ran a few selects, but I do not think they are entirely accurate. Will you kindly share your queries? I also opened a PMR, but the point me to useless URLs. Thank you!

This is the query I used:

SELECT CAST(FLOAT(SUM(bk.bfsize))/1024/1024/1024 as DEC(14,1)) as size_gb, count(bk.bfsize) as number_of_objects -
FROM backups b, backup_objects bk -
WHERE b.state='ACTIVE_VERSION' and b.object_id=bk.objid

PREDATAR Control23

Also look at the list of nodes that are non-reporting (right hand side of the same view).
You will need to review each and every node to confirm if the occupancy is valid.
Also Exchange,SQL and Oracle nodes should be measured from the client side for more accuracy.

I was advised to run the following:
SQL: sp_spaceused·
Oracle: SELECT SUM(bytes)/1024/1024 "Meg" FROM dba_segments;
Exchange:
C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabase -status | where {$_.Recovery –eq $false }
| select name,databasesize,last*

PREDATAR Control23

Front end licensing is good for mid range organizations and It actually depends on the size of the data always. We are using frontend capacity based license.

How can you get an itemized view of the data TSM is reporting as "Front End"? The OC license reports Front-end usage is nearly 18 TB but this seems very high (skewed by double) when compared to the disk storage reports of actual disk usage. I need to see exactly what data TSM is reporting as "Front-End" data. Is there an occupancy or filespace SQL query that will report this?