VTL devclass definition

jvazquez

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
PREDATAR Control23

Trying to find the syntax to define a devclass with devtype=VTL. Currently have 1 stgpool with a devclass which has devt=LTO, but is for a ProtectTier VTL. Need to change to devtype of VTL to be able to convert it to directory-container stgpool, but it will not happen in the OpsCenter, since "convert" is greyed out. Have read the define devclass section of the manual a few times and have yet to find a reference to device type VTL. If a sample is available, please send a link. Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Hallo jvazquez,

there does NOT exist a device class of type VTL.

You should have a look to the LIBType= parameter of the Library statement instead.

If you currently have LIBType=scsi you can easily change it "on the fly! with

TSM command: update library xxx LIBT=VTL

in order to make it "VTL aware" (if i remember correctly, IBM introduced this possibility with TSM version 6.3.......)

And now you can use the new CONVERT Stgpool command for your "new" VTL library!.

Have a try and let us know the results.

rgds Michael

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks Michael. I will try that after reading the document you mention in 6.3 I ran the ProtectTier for so long as type SCSI with LTO tapes that I never realized that IBM had added the libtype=vtl option for it. Just need to make sure the tapes will be there after the update library. If you are correct, I just need the update, since what I do most of the time is checkout all tapes, get rid of the drives and get rid of the library and do the process in reverse till I check in the tapes. Had to do it many times because the devices would come in with different numbers since I had 3 libraries. With your information, process simplified. Will let forum know outcome.

PREDATAR Control23

Michael, looks like TSM can go back and forth between SCSI and VTL
upload_2017-3-3_11-1-20.png
upload_2017-3-3_11-1-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-3_11-0-40.png
    upload_2017-3-3_11-0-40.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 4
PREDATAR Control23

Updated the library from libtype SCSI to libtype VTL, but still it is not convertible.
upload_2017-3-3_13-56-58.png

PREDATAR Control23

Found answer. Had to activate a domain. I pressed the convert greyed out option and it came back with a message that I had to activate the domain(default domain for me)
Once I activated the domain, logged out of the Ops Center, re logged in, then the convert option became useable.

PREDATAR Control23

Hallo jvazquez,

did the Operating Center already recognize, that the Library Type is VTL?

Have a try directly with command line DSMADMC or command builder api:

Convert stgpool VTL01POOL <your target container pool>

and check actlog messages and if - hopefully - working check: "q pr" -- you should see two processes covering the conversion.

rgds again michael

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks to your help, it is set to be converted, now I am looking on rule of thumb for spaceneeded to convert 66TeraBytes of VTL tapes to directory container storagepool.