TSM V6.3 Windows System state restore

ajaz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello Experts,

I have a server x which need to be restored to server y and test the application, I am following the IBM document.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21164812

steps followed: login into server y and tried to open the BA client of server x and restore the C drive and then the system state, I am getting the following error:

upload_2017-2-27_14-23-50.png

PREDATAR Control23

What Operating System? If 2000 or 2003, you can use that procedure. If 2008 or higher, as that technote says, you should follow the other procedure suggested:
upload_2017-2-27_8-42-6.png

Second, is the computer name: appsdlp1? If not, that's why.
upload_2017-2-27_8-44-17.png

PREDATAR Control23

We have windows 2008 R2, our primary server is: appsdlp1 which needs to be restored on Server: Apdpaapt1.

I logged into the server: Apdpaapt1 and changed the node name in dsm.opt as the primary server node name.

Opened BA client as of primary node and ran restore system state

upload_2017-2-27_15-53-56.png

System state restore is in progress, I am not sure how can i restore the C drive, it shows no files in the C Drive, suggest me how to proceed further.

PREDATAR Control23

We have windows 2008 R2, our primary server is: appsdlp1 which needs to be restored on Server: Apdpaapt1.
You have to restore using the same machine name, because after the restore it will have the original name of the time of the backup anyway.

index.php

So you have to power off the original machine while you do this because networks don't like to have two machines with the same name on the same network.

Once the restore is over, rename the machine and give it a new IP address, then you can repower the original machine.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello Marclant,

I cannot make the production server down, Instead i will make the host name same with different alias from AD.

I informed you that restore system state is triggered in my earlier but it failed to complete.

I would be very grateful if you can share me the steps to restore, I really don't have any experience in Windows BMR restores.

Waiting for your kind reply...!

PREDATAR Control23

I informed you that restore system state is triggered in my earlier but it failed to complete.
It failed because the hostname is different from the one used during the backup. So if you can't restore systemstate, you will not have a bootable machine afterwards, regardless if you can restore C: or not.

For reference though, if you restore a filespace from another machine (same or different node), you need to specify the filespace name in the command:
dsmc restore {\\machine\c$}\*
The {} are needed
The name between the {} is the filespace name as you see it in Q FI.

You will have better luck using this procedure:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/... Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Vista

However, keep in mind that when the machine boots, it will have the original hostname and IP. So I recommend that when you get to the point to reboot, disconnect the network cable.