Node replication and dissimilar policies

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,
after reading some manuals and a fast IBM presentation on TSM 7.1/8 new features we told to a customer that "with dissimilar policies, a new feature for TSM 7.1, you can set up a primary server with a 7 days retention and the replication server with a longer retention".
The problem, and I opened a PMR with IBM, is that you can't take advantage of such configuration until you're not recovering the node (and access directly to the replication server).
IBM, after a misunderstanding with client development, told me to open a Request For Enhancement that now is in "Uncommitted Candidate" so I think it should be voted.

If you think it deserves vote, here it is the link: THANKS.

PREDATAR Control23

is that you can't take advantage of such configuration until you're not recovering the node (and access directly to the replication server).
I don't understand that statement.

PREDATAR Control23

NODE A archives data on SERVER A with a RETVER of 7 days.
SERVER A replicate node data to SERVER B, with dissimilar policies on, on SERVER B archive copygroup has RETVER of 30.
NODE A can't access to older data stored on SERVER B until you make SERVER A unavailable.

Now, no one told me if it could be safe just to change TCPSERVERADDRESS on dsm.sys to make SERVER A unreachable and try a retrieve from SERVER B, that's why I asked IBM.

PREDATAR Control23

I found an old presentation from the 2015 TSM Symposium, IBM call this "Node replication with transparent client access" (even if they don't talk about dissimilar policies). I look forward for the "always on" replication too...