Node moved to a new domain, new mgmtclass, wont rebind

opeth

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,
I have moved a node to a new domain, new policy, new mgmtclass, new storage pool etc. and I expected that when i ran a backup, i would see everything rebind to the new mgmtclass. I named the class different than it was in the old domain but it appears it didnt matter. Cant find a really clear explanation of the expected behavior here so and help is appreciated.

The new mgmtclass is a little more restrictive on retention policy, not sure if that matters.

When or can the existing data for the node be bound to the new mgmtclass?

PREDATAR Control23

Did you activate the policy?
Is the new management class the default management class?
If not, did you add an include to use the new management class?

PREDATAR Control23

all this is in a new domain as well. But it is the default class in the new domain and it does have a different name than the original mgmtclass .

I read somewhere on this forum that the files will expire according to the new mgmtclass when experation runs even though they did not report that they were rebound , that seems a little odd..

PREDATAR Control23

If you query the backup, what management class is it bound to? The default management class is called DEFAULT. So if they were bound to DEFAULT before, they are still bound to it.

PREDATAR Control23

So maybe becuase its still bound to DEFAULT (even though its actually a different "DEFAULT" mgmtclass in a new domain) there is no rebinding that needs to be done and the data will expire according to the NEW "default" mgmtclass?

PREDATAR Control23

Default is default. It's considered the same management class because it has the same name. Every time that expiration runs for a node, it looks at the management classes for the domain it belongs to see what the retention is, and uses that.

PREDATAR Control23

Ok, well i was just making this more confusing than it needs to be. I have a default chosen and it should use that when it runs experation. Thanks for the help marclant