ISP 7.1.6 and Directory Container Storage Pools

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

Is it possible with TSM/ISP 7.1.6 to move data from an existing legacy storage pool (say, on a 6.4 server) to a directory container storage pool on a 7.1.6 server?

IBM DeverloperWorks, questions #4 and #6, in this link seems to answer the question:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ctory-container storage pools FAQs?section=q1

The answer seems to be "no". Has anyone reason to believe different?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

in 7.1.7 you can use the convert command to convert/move the data from your file type stg pools.
please note that when you start the conversion the old pool can not be used for backup any more.
You have to either rename the old pool to "oldpool".tmp and create the new container pool with the same name as the old pool or rewrite all your copy group destinatins in the mgmgt classes.

Also you will have to complete most of the conversion before the process deletes any of the old volumes. This means that you most likely will have to create the container pool on new / temporary disk. Once the conversion is completed you can move the containers to a peramanent location.

A possible workaround if you are space constrained is to create a temporary stgpool to wich you do a "move nodedata" then convert the temporary pool. then delete the temporary pool and repeat the proces for all your large nodes.

/hogmaster

Thank you for the feedback.

That process you described sounds complicated. I would like to see an IBM document (if one existed) for performing this task. Obviously, it would require having your ISP server at version 7.1.7. There is no way to "migrate" data into these new storage pools.

Actually, within IBM Spectrum Protect is starting to be called "IBM Spectrum Protect", or ISP. That's probably going to be the acronym we all will be using a year from now.

I've seen the knowledge center document, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Still, it makes the point that you cannot "migrate" data into these container pools. You can convert. You can replicate. Those are your options at this time, so it seems.

Actually, within IBM Spectrum Protect is starting to be called "IBM Spectrum Protect", or ISP. That's probably going to be the acronym we all will be using a year from now.
Trivia: As an IBM employee, we are not allowed to abbreviate IBM because it's already an abbreviation, so you will never see ISP coming from IBM. Possibly IBMSP or SP, right now there doesn't seem to be an approved abbreviation.

The acronym gets thrown around a lot already from what I've seen (also as an IBM employee). We do seem to be at that awkward transitional period where people aren't quite sure what to cal it in the future. I'd be happy if we could just continue to call the product "TSM" forever! :)

Is there any way to move (or convert) sequential stg pool data to a cloud container?

Back