Query Event and Query schedule return no results

DMobley232

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I'm told that our TSM is scheduled to take a backup from TAPEPOOL to OFFSITE every Friday, however I am questioning this and from my research I don't think this is actually setup.

I have ran query schedule and I get No match found using this criteria.
I have ran query event * * begindate=-180 enddate=today node=seisquest and it returned nothing
I have ran query event * * and it returned nothing.
I'm thinking that we have no backup schedules defined, would that be safe to say?

I have also tried from the TSM GUI, but when I click on Utilities> Setup Wizard nothing happens.

Are you doing this from the TSM server or a node?

If you are doing this on the TSM Server and a 'q schedule' returns nothing, this is a scary thought! This means no nodes are being backed up at all.

If you are doing the query from a node, and a 'q schedule' returns nothing, this means that the node has not been included in any backup. Further, if you do a 'dsmc incr' does a backup run? If nothing happens, look if you have a dsm.opt file and configure one if you don't.

If from a node and the GUI does not run, try reinstalling the BA Client.

You did not mention your TSM version.

I'm on TSM 6.2
Yes. I'm doing this from TSM server. I start terminal> dsmadmc.
I will try your other suggestions in the next few hours.

If you are doing this on the TSM Server and a 'q schedule' returns nothing, this is a scary thought! This means no nodes are being backed up at all.

If you are doing the query from a node, and a 'q schedule' returns nothing, this means that the node has not been included in any backup. Further, if you do a 'dsmc incr' does a backup run? If nothing happens, look if you have a dsm.opt file and configure one if you don't.

I do see a dsm.opt, but when I view it, there is nothing in it. I will research on how to configure it.
I also went into dsmc and ran q sched and it stated "There Are no schedules associated with this node".

So I just went into terminal>dsmc and ran 'dsmc incr' and a incremental backup is currently running. Not sure what tape its writing to. I assume its writing to tape, looks like a lot is going on.
So is this taking new or changed files or directorie from TAPEPOOL (Primary) and writing them to "OFFSITE" ?

It looks as though I see a "TAPEPOOL" tape being used. I assume with running the incremental like I did its just using the first tape that it sees has available space?

Is there a way to cancel this incremental bu that is running right now, or should I just let it run and finish, currently at 110GB right now.

Go the the TSM Server and cancel the session associated with the running backup
Sorry, I just started learning TSM 2 weeks ago.
I'm on server and I ran SHOW Session.
I assume the session that shows ##'s for Backup Objects is the session that is doing the backup. for example I see 3 sessions, and only 1 looks like this: It shows Backup Objects (bytes) Inserted: 15132 (99.3649577755)
and for KeepUsedMP = YES all others show no. And it shows 1 mount points in use all others show no.

My assumption is that when I kicked off this incremental backup, that it was backing up data from the disk? Does that sound right?

Supposedly our system is set to do a Copy of TAPEPOOL to OFFSITE every Friday night, however I'm having trouble verifying that is happening. I guess I can just look sometime tomorrow. Up until yesterday I don't think it would have worked as the Tape Library was full.

The traditional TSM setup looks like this:

node --> TSM server --> disk pool (for fast backup) --> offload to tape (primary tape pool) < copy to> offsite tape pool (DR tape pool)

backup from primary tape to offsite tape is via Admin schedules. On the TSM Server, do 'q schedule type=admin' to see if there are admin type schedules for the primary to offsite tape copy. If you don't have one, see 'help define schedule' to create one.

Nothing returns with q schedule type=admin.
I am looking through help define schedule and will look to create one.
Thank You.

When running the 'dsmc incr' does that automatically run expiration and reclamation? And sorry for my ignorance with this, but does Expiration and reclamation run the process against the disk or Tape?

When running the 'dsmc incr' does that automatically run expiration and reclamation? And sorry for my ignorance with this, but does Expiration and reclamation run the process against the disk or Tape?

No - reclamation and expiration are separate processes.

Expiration can be disk or tape bound depending on where the data sits.

Reclamation is mostly "tape" bound, or if the devclass=file, then it would be disk bound on a strict sense.

What about 'backup Stgpool primary pool copy_pool' does that automatically run Expiration and reclaimation? Or all Expiration and reclaimation is a separate process?

What about 'backup Stgpool primary pool copy_pool' does that automatically run Expiration and reclaimation? Or all Expiration and reclaimation is a separate process?

Normally scheduled but it can run automatically with set threshold levels. However, TSM Admins prefer scheduled.

Normally scheduled but it can run automatically with set threshold levels. However, TSM Admins prefer scheduled.
Thank you. The reason I was asking is on Saturday I ran 'backup stgpool TAPEPOOL OFFSITE'
This morning The seismic analyst stated that he is missing data from tape, that he knows was on tape on Friday before he left for the day. Fortunately, the data still resides on disk and he is going to do a manual backup to get the data back to tape.
Just trying to find out if running 'backup stgpool TAPEPOOL OFFSITE' might have removed that data or if its just a coincidence.

Thank you. I think what happened is I turned a tape into scratch that I think probably had data on it is my guess, either way we still have the data on disk and we have since backed it up to tape.

Back